It’s Hatch Chile time, and that means many of us will buy a case of them (10 pounds or 25 pounds) and have them roasted for us, so we can bring them home and cook with them. We’ll save some in the freezer for later, so we can enjoy Hatch goodness long after their short August-September season is over.
In fact, now begins a month of public roastings in Southern California. Here’s a list of public Hatch roastings if you need it; don’t miss out!
Or we’ll roast the Hatch chiles at home ourselves. This is an easy option, especially if you buy less than a case. Either way, we’ll have loads of Hatch to use.
If you’re looking for great ideas for what to do with your roasted Hatch chiles, you’ve come to the right place! I have lots of suggestions for you, including a new book, just published by Melissa’s Produce, devoted entirely to Hatch.
“Melissa’s Hatch Chile Cookbook,” by Sharon Hernandez and Chef Ida Rodriguez (2013 World Variety Produce, Inc.; $19.95), has more than 150 unique and classic Hatch chili recipes.
Rodriguez, Melissa’s corporate chef, and Hernandez, company co-owner, know their stuff. They wrote it to answer customer questions about what to do with Hatch, how to use them and how they are different.
“Hatch is an ingredient you can put in any recipe; you can use them in everything, really,” Rodriguez says. You believe her after you taste her Sweet ‘n Spicy Hatch Pancakes, Soft Pretzels with Hatch Chile Mustard, the addictive Honey Mustard Pretzel & Nut Crunch, Hatch Devil’s Food Cookies and Hatch Lemonade. Lemonade? Yeah, you make spicy Hatch ice cubes to float in the drink, and it spices it up just perfectly!
Now let’s get cookin’ with Hatch! Here are some Shockingly Delicious recipes starring Hatch:
Breakfast or Brunch
- Roasted Hatch Chile Cornbread Casserole (gluten-free) from Cooking on the Weekends
- Simple Corn Pudding with Roasted Hatch from She’s Cookin’
- Avocado and Potato Salad with Hatch Chile Vinaigrette from Black Girl Chef’s Whites
- Easy Vegetarian Carrot Tartare with Hatch Chile Vinaigrette from My Man’s Belly
- Easy Mole Sauce from Adventures with Nancy Rose
- Hatch Chile Strips in Red Salsa from Nibbles & Feasts
- Scalloped Potatoes with Roasted Hatch Chiles from Recipe Renovator
- Roasted Hatch Chile Pepper Hummus from Recipe Renovator
- Hatch Chile Pesto Potatoes from A Communal Table
- Romaine Salad with Hatch Chile Dressing from A Communal Table
- Hatch Chile Chimichurri from Geez Louise
- Hatch Chile Shrimp Saute with Coconut Rice from Cooking on the Weekends
- Enchiladas with Hatch Chile Sauce from She’s Cookin’
- Bleu Green Burgers by Nibbles & Feasts
- Chicken Hatch en Bleu by Presley’s Pantry
- Spicy Southwest Macaroni and Cheese from SpaBettie
- Grilled Salmon with Blueberry Hatch Chile Sauce from Pineapple and Coconut
- Tamales with Green Chile Sauce from Dinners Dishes & Desserts
- Green Chile Cheese Dogs from Everyday Southwest
- Green Chile Burgers with Onion and Potatoes fom I Love My Disorganized Life
- Hatch Salsa Verde, Pork and Oaxaca Cheese Pizza from Farm Fresh Feasts
- New Year’s Tamales from SpaBettie
- Western Shepherd’s Pie from Worth the Whisk
- Hatch Chile Verde from Latino Foodie
- Green Chile Cheeseburgers from Juanita’s Cocina
- Southwest Chopped Potato Salad for Two from Worth the Whisk