Meet my mom, Helen Reinhold. She taught me to cook. And bake. And collect interesting recipes (hoarding, anyone?), offbeat ingredients, charming kitchen tools, and to take pride in my kitchen prowess.
I’m sure she didn’t know she was teaching me all those things, but that’s what happens when you are cooking for a family of 6 and your only daughter is underfoot in the kitchen.
She’s Italian, but she married a Pennsylvania Dutch-German, so my food loves are all over the map! Want to talk homemade cavatelli, or fried mush and scrapple for breakfast? I’m your girl.
It belongs to me now, and I’ll be mining it for treasure.
Happy Mother’s Day to all who are moms, who have or had moms, or who would like to be moms some day. That about covers everyone, eh?
I made cookies. My mom would be proud of me for these, because they’re THAT good!
Recipe: Scotch Tea Cookies
Summary: Buttery and brown sugary, these simple Scotch Tea cookies will have your eyes rolling back in your head – they’re THAT good!
- 2 cups quick oats (dry) (source gluten-free oats to make this a gluten-free treat)
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, baking powder and salt and mix well. Stir in butter. Press mixture evenly into an ungreased 8-inch square baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes; top will be golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool for about 5 minutes. Cut/score into 24 squares, but leave cookies in pan. Cool entirely before cutting again, following your original cut lines, and removing cookies from pan. (If you remove them while hot, they will fall apart. Trust me on this.) Store in an air-tight container (but honestly, it’s not like you’re going to have any of these left over!).
- Makes 20 cookies.
Dorothy Reinhold | Shockingly Delicious
Other Helen Reinhold recipes on ShockD
Preparation time: 7 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 10-15
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Today’s Sunday Supper recipes
This week our #SundaySupper blogger crew is celebrating Mother’s Day, hosted by Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake. Make something for your mom!
Mother’s Day Breakfast:
- Bacon,Egg and Cheddar Scones from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Chai Berry Muffins from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Almond Prune Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Greek Breakfast Strata from Curious Cuisiniere
- Maple Almond Butter from girlichef
- Orange Julius from Neighborfood
- Rum Rolls from Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Eggs with an Asian Accent from NinjaBaking.com
Mother’s Day Appetizers, Soups and Salads:
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Carrot Ginger Soup from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Chilled Spring Pea Soup from An Appealing Plan
- I Love You Mom Melon Salad from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Strawberry Salad with Asparagus Mousse from Delaware Girl Eats
- Truffled Sea Salt Shrimp Arugula Salad from Family Foodie
- Vegetable Shu Mai from My Healthy Eating Habits
Mother’s Day Main Dishes:
- Betty’s Salad from Jelly Toast
- Brussels Sprouts Kofta from Soni’s Food
- Cajun Shrimp Eggplant Casserole from Food Lust People Love
- Crepes Lorraine from Noshing With The Nolands
- Greek Chicken Pizza from Casa de Crews
- Ham and Spinach Quiche from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Lightened-Up Penne & Tomato Cream Sauce with Peas & Prosciutto from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mac & Cheese Dressed Up for Mother’s Day from Cooking Chat
- Mini Pot Pies from Jane’s Adventures in Cooking
- Paprika Shrimp from Nosh My Way
- Spears in a Blanket from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Mother’s Day Desserts:
- Banana Cream Pie from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Black-Eyed Susan from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cannoncini alla Crema from Manu’s Menu
- Chocolate Babka from Run DMT
- Chocolate Caramel Tart from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Creme Brûlée from Desserts Required
- Frozen Strawberry Cheesecake from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Gluten Free Lemon Curd Pie from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Lemon Cookies from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Limoncello Lemon Pound Cake from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Mom’s Glazed Blueberry Tarts from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mom’s Coconut Macaroons from MealDiva
- Mango Sorbet from Pescetarian Journal
- PB&J Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Peach Cobbler from Cookin’ Mimi
- Pina Colada Cake from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pineapple Empanadas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Scotch Tea Cookies from Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Shortcake Whipped Cream Cupcakes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies from Pies and Plots
Join us around the family table for #SundaySupper
- Twitter how-to: Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day on Twitter to see our recipes. To join the conversation anytime, simply use the #SundaySupper hashtag to share your favorite tips and recipes.
- Pinterest: Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more recipes and photos.
- Join: To join the Sunday Supper Movement, sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.