I’ve been known to over-plant tomatoes in my small backyard vegetable garden. I see the tiny plants in the spring, and they all beckon me, with promises of different ripening times, different colors and different flavors. I want them all. I can envision them all in different fabulous dishes.
And sometimes I buy them all.
So it was one year I planted Sweet 100, Sweet Million, Black Cherry Tomato and Orange Sunburst Cherry Tomato plants. By the end of summer, I was cherry tomato-ed out! Well, that’s a tiny lie. I can always eat more cherry toms, and I’ve never met a neighbor who turned them down. So bring them on, the more the merrier!
And so I always collect recipes using fresh tomatoes. One year I had tasted a wonderful Moroccan Tomato and Preserved Lemon Salad at a food blogger potluck for Mother’s Day, and I remembered how tasty it was. You know when a dish sticks in your memory that long, there is no escaping it. You must make it.
That’s this easy salad. Only a couple of ingredients, and it’s vegan and gluten-free and all that stuff. It can sit out on a buffet or picnic table without concern, and it tastes best at room temperature, so no need to fuss over keeping it refrigerated until the last minute.
Wait, what are preserved lemons?
If you’ve never tasted preserved lemons, they are a tiny miracle. They’re simply salted pickled lemons that cure in a jar, untouched, until voila! one day you uncap them and unleash their genius in your salad, with your roast chicken, or wherever you need a salty, lemony spark. I have an easy recipe for Preserved Lemons you can make yourself, or you can buy a jar in a specialty food store
Yes, I over-planted tomatoes again this year. No, I am not sorry!
You must make this Cherry Tomato and Preserved Lemon Salad .
Recipe: Cherry Tomato and Preserved Lemon Salad
Summary: Sweet from the cherry tomatoes, salty from the preserved lemon, with a kick from the Hatch chiles, this salad is a perfect summer salad.
- About 20 ounces of cherry tomatoes (64 cherry tomatoes – I counted!)
- 2 Hatch chiles, roasted, skinned, stemmed, seeded and chopped (or substitute roasted diced green chiles or pepperoncini)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced preserved lemon rind
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Grinding of fresh pepper
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half and add to large bowl. Add chiles, lemon, garlic, oil and a grinding of fresh pepper and stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking, adding more pepper if you like, and a pinch of salt only if needed. The preserved lemons are salty so you probably won’t need additional salt.
- Serves 4.
- This is wonderful freshly made, and also good the next day as leftovers. Refrigerate.
Preserved lemons have been cured in salt. You may make your own, very simply, or buy them in a specialty foods store or Middle Eastern market.
Completely inspired by my pal Nancy Eisman from Adventures with Nancy Rose. I lightly adapted her recipe and made a few tweaks to suit myself. Please do the same when you make it at your house! Tweaking is not only allowed, but appreciated!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian, Vegan
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Middle Eastern
If you like this recipe and want to save it, pin the image below to your Pinterest board.
Today’s Sunday Supper recipes using fresh tomatoes
This week our #SundaySupper blogger crew is celebrating recipes using fresh tomatoes, hosted, of COURSE, by Rini from Healing Tomato. Take a look at our tomato treasures and choose something to try this week!
- Caprese Chicken with Bacon by Family Around The Table
- Cheesy Caprese Pesto Chicken and Quinoa Casserole by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes by Life Tastes Good
- Grilled Chicken and Pasta with Grated Tomato Sauce by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bronzed Tomato Spinach Cheddar Panini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ground Beef Curry by Wholistic Woman
- Lamb and Fresh Tomato Curry by Sunday Supper Movement
- One Pan Pork Chop Dinner with Tomatoes by Simple and Savory
- Tuna and Tomato Bento by Ninja Baker
Pizza, Pies, and Pastas
- Angel Hair Pomodoro by Healing Tomato
- Heirloom Tomato Tart by Authentically Candace
- Pressure Canned Homegrown Tomato Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Savory Tomato Pie with Pre-Made Crust by The Foodie Affair
- Three Cheese Tomato Basil Pie by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tomato and Caramelized Onions Galette by Brunch-n-Bites
- Tuscan Pasta with White Beans and Tomatoes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Bacon Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms by Crazed Mom
- Bloody Mary Mix by Our Good Life
- Bruschetta di Pomodoro by The Freshman Cook
- Caprese Garlic Bread with Arugula Pesto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Slow Roasted Tomatoes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Tomato Cauliflower Rice by Family Foodie
- Tomato Tulips for a Veggie Platter by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Thumbprint Cookies with Green Tomato Strawberry Jalapeno Jam by Soulfully Made
- How to Make Homemade Salsa by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- IPA (India Pale Ale) Green Tomato Pickles by Gourmet Everyday
- Italian Nachos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Marinated Cherry Tomatoes with Cottage Cheese by Cricket’s Confections
- Tomatoes Stuffed with Apple-Walnut Salad Filling by Asian In America
- Tropical Fruit Salsa by Pies and Plots
Soups and Salads
- 10 Minute Greek Inspired Couscous Salad by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Burrata Caprese Salad with Balsamic Pearls by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cherry Tomato and Preserved Lemon Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Cupboard Tomato Mozzarella Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Fresh Tomato and Couscous Salad by Basic N Delicious
- Fried Green Tomato BLT Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Rustic Dill Tomato Soup by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Summer Tomato and Bread Soup by Monica’s Table
- Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Pimento Grilled Cheese by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Join us around the family table for #SundaySupper
- Twitter how-to: Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day on Twitter to see our recipes. To join the conversation anytime, simply use the #SundaySupper hashtag to share your favorite tips and recipes.
- Pinterest: Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more recipes and photos.
- Join: To join the Sunday Supper Movement, sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.
Want even more tomato recipes? For 90+ more recipes with tomatoes, see our Food Bloggers L.A. Tomato and Zucchini summer roundup!