So many people are on “can’t eat this,” and “shouldn’t eat that” diets these days. It can be mind-boggling to invite people over for a meal, or even to bring a potluck dish that will be accepted by a majority.
I’m always on the lookout for not only the perfect side dish, but one that goes with many different cuisines, and that can satisfy the growing vegetarian and gluten-free eaters. It’s also lower in fat.
This simple yet elegantly tasty cucumber dip is it!
I learned it in a Persian cooking class taught by my lovely neighbor Fiona Afshar (you have previously seen her astoundingly delicious hummus, and if you haven’t, go look now!).
I can see it alongside roasted chicken, or as a dressing plopped onto a sandwich, or even eaten with cold sliced hard-cooked eggs. She has tricked this up with raisins for a sweet bite, and walnuts for a bit of crunch and body. Minced mint makes it doubly refreshing.
Point this one out to your friends who are off gluten and meat, but make it for everyone.
What it is missing won’t be missed.
Recipe: Persian Cucumber Yogurt
Summary: This calm cucumber side dish is a cooling oasis on a plate otherwise swimming with bold flavors.
- 1 (17.6-ounce) container Fage 2% yogurt
- 3 Persian cucumbers, grated
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, crushed
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- Fresh mint, finely minced
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a mixing bowl, mix all ingredients, stirring well to combine. Scrape into a pretty serving bowl.
- Makes about 2 cups.
- Serves 6-8.
See this page for all the wonderful #SundaySupper dishes I have made since I joined this group, and links to all the other delicious dishes made by my fellow cooks.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Reduced fat, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 6-8
Culinary tradition: Persian
The #SundaySupper group is having a “free for all” today, offering recipes to fit all sorts of special dietary requirement or to avoid allergens. We’re sharing recipes that are gluten-free, dairy-free, fat-free, nut-free, sugar-free, or whatever-free.
Here’s what we’ve cooked up for you today:
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, Nut & Soy Free Brown Rice Breakfast Pudding by girlichef
- Dairy & Nut and Sugar Free Blueberry Tangerine Muffins by Vintage Kitchen
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, Nut, and Soy Free Homemade Mango Jam Recipe by Masala Herb
- Gluten Free Nothing Missing Manicotti by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Sun-Dried Tomato & Feta Meatballs over Courgette Noodles by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Gluten Free Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Dairy, Egg & Nut Free Balsamic Portobello Burgers by Curious Cuisinere
- Dairy & Egg Free Raw Pasta with Tomato and Basil Sauce by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Nut Free Mushroom Risotto Bake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Dairy, Egg & Gluten Free Vegan Mac and “Cheese” by Webicurean
- Dairy, Egg & Nut Free Creamy Mushrooms on Pasta by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Gluten Free Persian Cucumber Yoghurt by Shockingly Delicious
- Gluten Free Quinoa with Olives, Basil and Sun-dried Tomatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- Dairy Free Farro and Fruit Salad by Magnolia Days
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Dairy Free Fattoush Salad by From the Bookshelf
- Gluten Free Chickpea Fritters by The Lovely Pantry
- Dairy, Egg, and Gluten Free Black Bean and Mango Salad by Soni’s Food
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, and Nut Free Grilled Fennel Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Dairy & Gluten Free French Bread by Blueberries and Blessings
- Dairy & Gluten Free Crunchy Almond Sesame Crackers by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Dairy & Gluten Free Individual Chocolate Pavlova by The Girl in The Little Red Kitchen
- Gluten Free Flourless Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies by Juanita’s Cocina
- Gluten Free Ghoriba by Maroc Mama
- Dairy, Egg & Gluten Free Apple Almond Butter Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies with Almond Flour by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Nut Free Lemon Cardamom Wedding Cookies by Gourmet Drizzles
- Dairy Free Chocolate Gelato by Growing Up Gabel
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Sugar Free Cantaloupe Strawberry Coconut Gazpacho by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Gluten Free Meringue Kisses with Dulce de Lece by Basic N Delicious
- Dairy & Egg Free Vegan Everyday Chocolate Loaf by Gotta Get Baked
- Gluten, Dairy, and Nut Free Coconut Macaroons by Happy Baking Days
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Soy Free Tastes like Chocolate Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Dairy, Egg & Gluten Free Vegan Bread Pudding by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Gluten Free Enoki Mushroom & Pine Nut Quinoa by Family Foodie
- Gluten Free Mousse & Cookies by Ninja Baking
- Gluten Free Brown Butter Snickerdooles by Pies and Plots
- Dairy, Egg & Soy Free Chai Spice Coconut Ice Cream by Daily Dish Recipes
- Gluten Free Lemondae Dip by The Messy Baker
- Gluten & Dairy Free Honey Bear Smoothies by Neighborfood
- Sugar Free Strawberry Meyer Lemonade by The Weekend Gourmet
We would love to have you join our Twitter #SundaySupper chat party starting today at 7 p.m. EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day to see the amazing recipes, and join in by Tweeting your own recipes using the #SundaySupper hashtag. Be sure to check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.