From where I sit – nearly 30 years into marriage – Valentine’s Day isn’t about the ubiquitous chocolates, roses and red wine.
It’s about understanding what your beloved really wants from your kitchen. More than chocolate, mine adores orange marmalade – on his toast, his croissants, even his raisin bread. If we run out, there is a small morning panic in our kitchen.
So I took the jewel of the winter citrus – Meyer lemons – and a little sugar, and made easy homemade marmalade. Tied with a ribbon, it will shine on Thursday morning.
Recipe: Susan Feniger’s Lemon Marmalade
- 5 lemons, washed well (I used Frieda’s Specialty Produce Meyer Lemons)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the yellow zest from all of the lemons. Slice the zest into narrow, delicate strips and put them in a small saucepan. Cut off the ends of each lemon, and then cut down the sides, removing the white pith so that you are left with just the fruit. Discard the pith. Cut the fruit into 1/2-inch pieces, removing any large membrane and seeds. Put the fruit in the same saucepan with the zest.
- Pour 1/4 cup water into the saucepan and add the sugar and salt; stir well to combine and dissolve the sugar. Put the pan over medium heat and, stirring occasionally, bring to a boil, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the marmalade is thick and glossy.
- Transfer the mixture to a container and let it cool in the refrigerator. Store the marmalade in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
- Makes 1 ½ cups.
Lightly adapted from “Susan Feniger’s Street Food: Irresistibly Crispy, Creamy, Crunchy, Spicy, Sticky, Sweet Recipes,” by Susan Feniger (Clarkson Potter/Publishers; $27.50).
Frieda’s Specialty Produce sent the Meyer lemons for recipe testing.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Diet type: Vegan, Vegetarian
Diet tags: Reduced fat, Gluten free
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Make sure you check out the other #SundaySupper participants to see what they’ve made for our Valentine’s Day #SundaySupper!
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Breakfasts, Apps & Main Dishes:
- Asparagus, Clam & Bay Shrimp Pasta from Galactopdx
- Bacon Double Cheese Burger Bites from In the Kitchen with KP
- Cheese Stuffed Cannelloni from Curious Cuisiniere
- Garlic Shrimp Bruschetta from MarocMama
- Green Olive, Goat Cheese & Basil Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Indian Shrimp Pulao from Soni’s Food
- Individual Beef “Phyll-ingtons” from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ranch, Bacon and Cheese Crisps from Daily Dish Recipes
- Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Rissóis de Camarão | Portuguese Shrimp Dumplings from Family Foodie
- Spicy Red Cabbage Quiche | Veggie Quiche Recipe from Masala Herb
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Sweet Eats:
- Banana Bourbon Blondies from The Messy Baker
- Banana Cream Napoleon from Food Lust People Love
- Brown Butter M&M Cookies from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Brown Butter Rolo Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies from Damn Delicious
- Chocolate Baumkuchen from Webicurean
- Chocolate Bread Pudding from La Cocina de Leslie
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cake with Banana Cream from The Lovely Pantry
- Chocolate Covered Bacon from I Run For Wine
- Chocolate Covered Stuffed Strawberries from Country Girl in the Village
- Chocolate Mousse from Mom, What’s For Dinner?
- Chocolate Roll filled with Nutella Cream from Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream with Cherry Sauce from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas with Chocolate Sauce from The Roxx Box
- Coconut Sweetheart Cookies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Coeur a la Creme from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cream Cheese Mints from Simply Gourmet
- Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Mousse with Coconut Cream from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Torte from Kelly Bakes
- #GlutenFree Chocolate Almond Cloudless Cake from Cooking Underwriter
- Heart Shaped White Chocolate Cakes with Raspberry Cream from Noshing with the Nolands
- Homemade Cherry Mash Candies from Juanita’s Cocina
- Maple-Date Bars from Diabetic Foodie
- Meyer Lemon Marmalade from Shockingly Delicious
- Mini Samoa Bundt Cakes from Ruffles & Truffles
- Molten Chocolate Lava Cake from Gotta Get Baked
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Pistachio and Chocolate Souffle from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Raspberry Custard Tart from Kudos Kitchen
- Raw Fudge Love from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Red Velvet French Macarons with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Red Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Red Velvet Sugar Cookie Bars from Chocolate Moosey
- Red Wine Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting from The Urban Mrs.
- Strawberry Shortcake! from The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Valentine Cake Hearts from Ninja Baking
- Tres Leches Tea Cakes with Honey Riesling Soaked Fruit from Neighborfood
- Valentine’s Bakewell Tarts from Happy Baking Days
- Valentines Chocolate Apples from Big Bear’s Wife
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Drinks:
- Blood Orange Vodka Martinis from The Catholic Foodie
- Bloody Raspberry Cocktail from My Cute Bride
- Strawberry Gin Fizz from girlichef
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Tablescape: A Romantic Table For Two Please from An Appealing Plan
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter today (Sun., Feb. 10) to talk all about Valentine’s eats and treats! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 4 p.m. PT and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos!