Fall is a natural time for comfort, both in the foods we eat and in our thoughts. As Thanksgiving approaches, we muse about our own lives, are grateful for all that we have, and wonder what we can do to help others.
Because of my work in the world of food, I have two natural charities that I gravitate to – the L.A. Food Bank, with a vision that no one goes hungry in L.A. County, and Meals on Wheels, which brings healthy fresh meals to homebound people. What is your favorite food-related charity?
When it comes to comfort food, some people default to the carbs. Thick slabs of home-baked bread slathered in butter, plates of creamy polenta, mashed spuds, plates heaped high with pasta…mmm…bring them on when nippy weather arrives!
Call me crazy, though, but nothing makes me happier than a big bowl of roasted or sautéed vegetables. If no one is looking, I hold it up to my face and shovel it in like I am slurping a bowl of Asian noodles. That’s the definition of true comfort food to this girl.
My latest comforting vegetable obsession is Brussels sprouts cut into thin slices, sautéed with bacon, showered with salty Parmesan and sweetened with date chunks. It’s a full-on taste sensation!
This will do you right all throughout the coming holiday season, can be served at room temperature (the better to withstand a buffet table), and pairs well with lots of different main dishes, whether poultry, salmon, beef or ham (or by itself, for vegetarians).
To fully enjoy, I’ll offer a Gallo Family Vineyards Pinot Grigio to pair with it, which will also do well with roast turkey. Sound familiar for a Thursday, Nov. 27 entrée?
Today’s Sunday Supper recipes
This week our #SundaySupper blogger crew is celebrating Giving Comfort, sponsored by Gallo Family Vineyards. They’d love it if you connected with them on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube. I enjoy chatting with them on their social media about wine pairings with my recipes.
In addition to my two suggestions of food-related charities, Gallo Family Vineyards suggests a third – their Every Cork Counts campaign. From now until Dec. 1, Gallo will donate $1 to Meals on Wheels Association of America for every one of their wine corks you send them (up to $50,000). All you have to do is snap a photo of the cork from the Gallo bottle you just uncorked for your family dinner, and submit a photo of the cork to them electronically. I pledge to do my share; will you?
Meanwhile, check out our collection of 20 recipes we have lined up for you today from the Sunday Supper cooks, and our wine suggestions for each of them. I recommend you try my delicious Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Parmesan and Dates with some Gallo Family Vineyards Pinot Grigio, a bright, crisp, refreshing dry white wine with the flavors of green apple, peach and citrus. If you’re more a classic red person, you might like Gallo’s Cabernet Sauvignon, a full-bodied dry red that tastes of blackberry and black currant with a hint of spice to contrast the earthy vegetable dish. You can find them in your grocery store (or use their store locator here) and get a $1 off digital coupon here.
If you don’t want Brussels sprouts, choose something else from the menu below that gives you comfort, and share it with your family.
Comforting Appetizers and Beverages:
- Acorn Squash Cheese Spread with Spinach and Artichokes by Ruffles & Truffles
- Pomegranate Mulled Wine by The Messy Baker
Comforting Entrees, Soups, and Stews:
- Beef and Mushroom Pot Pie by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Beef Goulash by Magnolia Days
- Beef Stew with Puff Pastry by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cheesy French Onion Soup by Life Tastes Good
- Chicken and Corn Chowder by The Girl In the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Parmesan Panini by Casa de Crews
- Classic Swiss Fondue by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Meatloaf by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Johnny Marzetti by NeighborFood
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Flatbread by Family Foodie
- White Wine Cream Sauce Poached Shrimp by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
Comforting Side Dishes:
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Parmesan and Dates by Shockingly Delicious
- Stuffed Acorn Squash by Jelly Toast
Comforting Brunch, Desserts, and Sweets:
- Baked Pumpkin French Toast by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheesecake Bites with Red Wine Chocolate Sauce by Momma’s Meals
- Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake with Red Wine Raspberry Sauce by Daily Dish Recipes
- Gooey Autumn Spice Brownie Cups by Desserts Required
- Pear Streusel Coffee Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Join us around the family table for #SundaySupper
- Twitter how-to: Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day on Twitter to see our recipes. To join the conversation anytime, simply use the #SundaySupper hashtag to share your favorite tips and recipes.
- Pinterest: Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more recipes and photos.
- Join: To join the Sunday Supper Movement, sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed here are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.