Father’s Day demands brunch, but we perhaps don’t bring quite the same expectation of fuss and finesse to the table as we do for Mother’s Day. Am I right?
But still, even though we might not be going all-out with table decorations, we still want extra-delicious food for dad.
For a Father’s Day Sunday, my husband would adore a Mexican-type breakfast, so I am making this easy chilaquiles in casserole form. He and I used to eat chilaquiles long before the kids came along, and now that our family has four gaping maws, I’d better make enough, so casserole-style comes to the rescue!
I amped up the nutrition with some ready-to-eat steamed lentils, chocked it full of chopped cilantro (leave this out if your family hates it), and will serve it with sliced California avocados and a little glass of lightly chilled, fruity Gallo Family Vineyards Café Zinfandel. Let’s relax, starting with brunch.
Happy Father’s Day next Sunday!
I adapted this recipe, which I tasted at the blogging conference Big Traveling Potluck 2, created by Pam Anderson. I altered the method a tad, subbed lentils, added cilantro and a couple of other tweaks to suit myself and what I had on hand. Yum! See this page for all the wonderful #SundaySupper dishes I have made since I joined this group, and links to all the other delicious dishes made by my fellow cooks. Preparation time: 15 minutes
Recipe: Baked Lentil Chilaquiles Casserole
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: Mexican
I adapted this recipe, which I tasted at the blogging conference Big Traveling Potluck 2, created by Pam Anderson. I altered the method a tad, subbed lentils, added cilantro and a couple of other tweaks to suit myself and what I had on hand. Yum!
See this page for all the wonderful #SundaySupper dishes I have made since I joined this group, and links to all the other delicious dishes made by my fellow cooks.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Today’s Sunday Supper recipes
Check out the special in-advance Father’s Day dishes we have lined up for you on the Sunday Supper buffet table, and our wine pairings for each of them. I recommend you try my delicious Baked Lentil Chilaquiles Casserole with some light, fruity Gallo Family Vineyards Café Zinfandel, made in a smoother, lighter style than traditional Zin, and tasting of strawberry, raspberry and watermelon. Or how about their Pinot Noir if you don’t like a sweet wine (find them with their store locator here) and get a $1 off digital coupon here. If you don’t want Chilaquiles today, choose something else from the menu below that rings your chimes:
Father’s Day Salads and Main Dishes:
- Avocado and Quinoa Salad by Ruffles & Truffles
- Baked Lentil Chilaquiles Casserole by Shockingly Delicious
- Barbecue Chicken with Pinot Noir Blueberry Sauce by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken in a Caramelized Onion Wine Sauce by Family Foodie
- Filet Mignon with Mushrooms and Pinot Noir Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Meatballs by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Southwestern Zinfandel Glaze by Cooking On The Ranch
- Jambalaya Kabobs by Foxes Love Lemons
- Man Burgers Stuffed with Pinot Noir Caramelized Onions by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Marinated Flank Steak by The Foodie Army Wife
- Mushroom Topped Pinot Noir Burgers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pinot Noir Glazed Salmon by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pinot Noir Mushroom Reduction Sauce with Grilled T-Bone Steak by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Red Wine Meatball Subs by Momma’s Meals
Father’s Day Sweets and Treats:
- Angel Food Cake Smores Skewers by Melanie Makes
- Cafe Zinfandel Cake & Pinot Noir Quinoa by NinjaBaking.com
- Cherry Pinot Noir Pie by girlichef
- Chocolate Decadence with Cafe Zinfandel Whipped Cream and Raspberry Sauce by Desserts Required
- Hot Fudge Pudding Cake by Magnolia Days
- Pinot Noir Dark Chocolate Truffles by Alida’s Kitchen
Join us around the family table for #SundaySupper
- Twitter how-to: Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day on Twitter to see our recipes. To join the conversation anytime, simply use the #SundaySupper hashtag to share your favorite tips and recipes.
- Pinterest: Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more recipes and photos.
- Join: To join the Sunday Supper Movement, sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed here are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.