You don’t have to do much to perfectly ripe Pluots to make them into a deliciously special seasonal dessert.
Perhaps a bit of a coax in the oven with two cheater tricks to speed along preparation – jarred preserves to sweeten the fruit and ready-made granola for the crispy top. After all, what is granola but oats, brown sugar, flour and fat? That’s basically what you would put in a homemade topping for crisp, so you might as well take the easy way out.
I picked up this trick from the clever Sara Moulton, whose new cookbook, “Sara Moulton’s Everyday Family Dinners” (Simon & Shuster; $35) has wormed its way onto my required kitchen reading list this week.
You know Sara; she is professional chef, TV chef and former executive chef of Gourmet magazine for 23 years. More importantly for us, she’s also a wife and mother, and tasked with getting dinner on the table every night. Just like us.
I have bookmarked a bunch of things already, from Ground Turkey and Mint Lettuce Wraps, to Polenta Crostini with Tapenade, and Chicken with Fresh Tomato, Orange and Olive Sauce. How great does Reuben Pizza sound? I am going to make her Rustic Potato and Greens Pie as soon as I pick some greens, and I think her Cheesy Corn Soufflé with Poblanos and Black Beans is going to be a hit at my neighborhood girlfriend group soon.
Check out my recipe, and thanks to the publisher, I’ll be giving away a copy of the cookbook to one lucky reader. You can read about the giveaway below the recipe, and please join our Twitter chat on Sunday (info at bottom).
Recipe: Three-Ingredient Pluot Crisp
Summary: Sweet and tart, the season’s best Pluots (part plum, part apricot) are perfectly topped with granola for a comforting crisp.
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves (I used Bonne Maman, my favorite brand)
- 2 pounds Pluots, about 7-8 (I used Green Fuji Pluots from Phillips Farms)
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups granola (I used Honey Bunches of Oats Honey Roasted Granola)
- Heat oven to 350F degrees. Mist a shallow 6-cup baking dish and set aside. Melt preserves in the microwave or in a small saucepan on the stove.
- Wash and dry Pluots. Slice each fruit into 6-8 slices, discarding pits.
- Toss fruit slices with preserves and a pinch of salt in the baking dish, and spread them out to make an even layer.
- Sprinkle the granola evenly over the fruit.
- Cover the dish loosely with a sheet of greased aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for about 15 minutes more, until Pluots are tender. Serve warm or cold.
- Serves 6
Inspired by “Three Ingredient Apple Crisp” in the new book, “Sara Moulton’s Everyday Family Dinners.”
See this page for all the wonderful #SundaySupper dishes I have made since I joined this group, and links to all the other delicious dishes made by my fellow cooks.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
I will be giving away a copy of the book to a lucky reader in the U.S.(sorry, no overseas addresses). I will select a winner in 6 days (giveaway ends Friday, July 12 at noon PST.). Read the legal fine print here.
To participate in the giveaway you may do any of the following, and each is considered a separate entry, so leave a separate comment for each one you do.
- Leave a comment below telling me your own inspiration from Sara Moulton.
- Like Shockingly Delicious on Facebook and leave a comment telling me you did.
- Follow Shockingly Delicious on Twitter and leave a comment telling me you did and what your Twitter handle is
- Follow Shockingly Delicious on Pinterest and leave a comment telling me you did.
- Follow Shockingly Delicious on Instagram and leave a comment telling me you did.
Giveaway closes Fri., July 12 at noon PST.; a winner will be announced by Monday, July 15.
Breakfast for Dinner:
- Open-faced Zucchini Omelet with Red Bell Pepper and Feta by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
- Chocolate French Toast with Fresh Strawberry Sauce by Daily Dish Recipes
- Polenta Lasagne by Blueberries and Blessings
- Spicy Korean Cheesesteak by Kimchi MOM
- Chorizo Mushroom Bites by La Cocina de Leslie
- Roasted Ratatouille Crêpes with Goat Cheese by Healthy.Delicious.
- Grilled Chicken and Veggie Pizza by Runner’s Tales
- Clay Pot Vegetable Stew by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Grilled Reuben Pizza by Juanita’s Cocina
- Vegetarian Greek Stuffed Zucchini by The Messy Baker Blog
- Manchego, Fig and Bacon Flatbreads by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Kimchi Fried Rice by girlichef
- Gluten Free Mozzarella Pesto Pizza by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Peppery Broccoli with Feta Cheese and Angel Hair Pasta by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chicken Artichoke Piccata by Sustainable Dad
- Reuben Tortilla Pinwheels by Home Cooking Memories
- Deli Style Turkey Reuben Pizza by In The Kitchen with KP
- Grilled Mahi Mahi with Garlic Caper Sauce by Family Foodie
Spectacular Sides and Salads:
- Curried Peas and Black Beans by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chopped Salad with Feta, Chickpeas, and Pita Croutons by Supper for a Steal
- A Summer Salad from Paris by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Caprese Salad with Avocado by Ruffles & Truffles
Don’t Skip Desserts and Drinks:
- Three-Ingredient Pluot Crisp by Shockingly Delicious
- Stuffed Strawberry Dessert by Growing Up Gabel
- Vegan Chocolate Peanut-Butter No Bake Cookies by Killer Bunnies
- Warm Chocolate Cheesecake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Turkish Pistachio and Apricot Bread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sparkling Watermelon Lemonade by The Urban Mrs.
- Blueberry Crepes by Basic N Delicious
- Nectarine Upside-Down Cake by Magnolia Days
- Cannoli Strawberries by Foxes Love Lemons
- Gluten-Free Carrot Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
- Watermelon Basil Lemonade by Curious Cuisiniere
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 p.m. ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.