We know beans, and we know pie, right? I’m confident you’re with me so far.
But beans IN your pie, and for dessert? If that’s the question, the answer is YES!
My daughter and I first tasted Bean Pie at the Malibu Farmers Market. We bought it from a nice young man vendor who insisted we try all his varieties. “Yes, please,” we said, as we stood there munching. We fell in love with the simple spiced flavor, the custard-like interior, and the cute individual pies. She talked me into buying a few of them so she could take them in her lunch.
History of bean pie: Bean pies have been standard items at black Muslim bakeries and sold by followers of the Nation of Islam on street corners and farmers markets since the early 1970s. In his treatise “How to Eat to Live,” religious leader Elijah Muhammad wrote that beans were a blessed food, but sweet potatoes weren’t fit for man to eat. So his daughter channeled sweet potato pie flavors and created a recipe using navy beans. It was so delicious it became a popular way to raise money for the Nation of Islam.
What beans to use: Although navy beans are the most commonly called for in recipes, you could use Great Northern beans or pinto beans.
Equipment: If you use canned beans, rinse and drain them. You can mash them with a fork (they are so soft they will mash smooth very easily). Or you can use a blender or food processor to mix up the filling if you like. In this recipe, I used a fork to mash the beans, and an electric mixer to mix the filling.
Sweet Bean Pie…it’s what’s for dessert at my house!
Today’s recipes for Sunday Supper
Today our Sunday Supper group offers you 43 recipes for a Beantastic Sunday Supper, hosted by Tammi of Momma’s Meals. Try my Sweet Bean Pie, which might be the most unusual way you’ve eaten beans, or something else from the list below that floats your boat!
- Avocado Hummus by Our Good Life
- Bean Ragoût and Crisped Mushrooms by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Black Bean Chili Nachos by Brunch with Joy
- Chickpea Fries (Panisse) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Five Layer Greek Hummus Dip by Food Done Light
- Pizza Roasted Chickpeas by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- White Bean and Basil Spread by Peaceful Cooking
Bean-a-rific Soups and Stews:
- Butternut Squash White Bean Soup by Magnolia Days
- Chickpea and Bean Soup by Momma’s Meals
- Classic Cassoulet by Food Lust People Love
- Navy Bean & Kale Soup by An Appealing Plan
- Navy Bean Soup by The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Pork and Bean Stew by Nosh My Way
- Kielbasa and White Bean Soup by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spicy Sausage, White Bean and Spinach Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Bean and Cornbread Salad by MealDiva
- Clams with Black Beans by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Gold Rush Baked Beans by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Maple Brown Sugar Baked Beans by Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Pinto Beans With Cornbread Croutons by Nik Snacks
- Whiskey Bacon Baked Beans by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Incredi-bean Main Meals:
- Arugula Tomato and Beans Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Bean and Bacon Tacos by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Beefy Lima Bean Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Colombian Red beans – Frisoles Antioquenos by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Beans and Greens by Simply Healthy Family
- Honey-Lime Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos by The Chunky Chef
- One Pot Tuscan Style Garlic Herb Pork Chops by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Orecchiette with White Beans and Swiss Chard by Delaware Girl Eats
- Skillet Black Beans and Pork by Cooking Chat
- Ultimate Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Pancake Warriors
- White Bean Ragout, Frisèe, and a Fried Egg by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Amaze-beans Sweet Endings:
- Chocolate Covered Espresso Bean Bark by Love and Confections
- Flourless Almond Joy Cookie Dough Ball by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Flourless Mocha Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten-Free Black Bean Brownies by Wallflour Girl
- Gluten-Free Donuts by NinjaBaker
- Pecan Praline Black Bean Brownies by Rhubarb and Honey
- Soy Awesome Cookies 2.0 by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coco-Cacao Bean Smoothie by Dandelion Greens
- Sweet Bean Pie by Shockingly Delicious
- Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee by Noshing With The Nolands
Join us around the family table for #SundaySupper
- Twitter how-to: Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day on Twitter to see our recipes. To join the conversation anytime, simply use the #SundaySupper hashtag to share your favorite tips and recipes.
- Pinterest: Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more recipes and photos.
- Join: To join the Sunday Supper Movement, sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.