Those seasonal milkshakes the fast food chains offer are seductive, aren’t they?
I swear, my car drives itself to Jack in the Box in the fall when their pumpkin shakes appear.
But no, really, don’t get me started, because the calorie count is stupendous – 880 calories in 16 ounces. If you spring for the large size, that’s 1,243 calories in 24 ounces. Allow me to add a few exclammation points to snap you to attention.
That high calorie-count is understandable, because they are made with vanilla ice cream, blackberry syrup, whipped topping and a cherry. Sigh.
It’s easy to make a healthier version at home, and you won’t have to do 10 hours of cardio to undo 1 indiscretion.
It also tastes better than the Jack in the Box version. I swear.
Recipe: Healthy Blackberry Shake
- 2 cups frozen blackberries
- 1/2 a super ripe banana
- 1/2 cup organic Greek yogurt (Oikos brand, vanilla flavor preferred)
- 1-2 tablespoons agave
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A drop or 2 of almond extract
- 1/2 cup water (approximate)
- Add all ingredients to the blender container, and whirl for a minute or more, until it is the consistency you like. Add more water if needed; do not strain the motor!
- If you have a Vitamix blender, it will do a great job on this, but a regular blender works just fine, too.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 2
Culinary tradition: USA (General)