I made this carrot side dish for Christmas dinner, and my sister-in-law proclaimed it the best thing at the table! She scarfed three servings, and kept the leftovers for herself! (I didn’t mind.)
I made it again the next week, because it haunted me. You know when a flavor lodges in your brain and you can’t forget it? That’s this one.
I chose this to share today because it is the 1st anniversary of #SundaySupper, the food blogger-led movement to eat Sunday dinner at the table as a family. We were challenged to choose a memorable recipe from #SundaySupper during the past year, and for me, this was the hands-down winner.
I found it on the blog Juanita’s Cucina, written by the charming Jen. As food bloggers like to do, I tweaked it a bit, but be assured that her original recipe is delicious and dandy. I just added a couple of things, and played with some measurements.
I might make a pan of it for my sister-in-law’s birthday and wrap a bow around it. I’m pretty sure that will get me massive points.
Recipe: Carrot Gratin of the Gods
Summary: This side dish encompasses the four C’s — creamy, comforting, carroty and cheesy! It’s perfect with any roasted meat, poultry or ham or as a meatless offering with salad.
- 6 cups (about 1 ½ pounds) organic whole carrots, washed and thickly sliced on the diagonal (do not peel)
- 1-1 1/4 cups crushed Ritz crackers (1 sleeve crackers, crushed)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided use
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill (or 1 teaspoon dried dill)
- 1 small onion, diced (about ¾-1 cup diced onion)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- A few grinds black pepper
- 2 cups milk (or use 1 ½ cups milk and ½ cup half and half for a richer dish)
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (or use a mixture of sharp Cheddar and smoked Cheddar, as I did)
- Heat the oven to 350F and spray a 9- by 13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Set aside. (You may also use 2 8-inch square baking pans.)
- Place carrots in a microwave-safe covered container and cook on high for 7 minutes (1100 watts), covered, until they are just fork tender, but still firm. Remove from oven and uncover so they don’t continue to steam.
- In a small bowl, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Toss the melted butter with the cracker crumbs and chopped dill in a small bowl, and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Add onions and sauté until onions are translucent and tender, about 7-10 minutes. Add the flour, salt, nutmeg and pepper to the onion/butter mixture and cook (while stirring) for a minute or so. (This mixture is called a roux.)
- Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly, and bring the mixture to a boil. Allow the mixture to simmer for a few minutes, until it thickens. Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese. Stir until everything is smooth and melted.
- Fold the carrots into the cheese mixture and coat carrots well. Pour the creamy carrot mixture into the prepared baking pan and sprinkle with the cracker crumbs.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until everything is heated through, cheese sauce is bubbly and crackers are slightly browned.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 8-10
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Join us as we celebrate the 1st birthday of #SundaySupper this week by choosing recipes from contributors that have inspired us in the past year.
Sunday Supper Appetizers:
- Hot Spinach Parmesan Dip by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks inspired by Comfy Cuisine
- So Simple Pizza Puffs by The Weekend Gourmet inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
- Pepperoni and Mozzarella Pull Apart by Noshing With The Nolands inspired by In the Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Soups and Breads:
- Lasagna Soup by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Easy Italian Wedding Soup by Webicurean inspired by Family Foodie
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage Soup by Damn Delicious inspired by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Honey Butter Dinner Rolls by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Chicken Noodle Soup by Big Bears Wife inspired by My Catholic Kitchen
- Tomato Florentine Soup by Mama Mommy Mom inspired by The Meltaways
- Chicken Soup with Dumplings by Comfy Cuisine inspired by The Messy Baker
- Coconut Curry Chicken Soup by My Trials in the Kitchen inspired by Damn Delicious
Sunday Supper Main Dishes:
- Portuguese Mussels and Shrimp in Chorizo Sauce by Supper for a Steal inspired by Family Foodie
- (GlutenFree) Chicken Bruschetta by The Meltaways inspired by Family Foodie
- Feijoada Portuguese Bean Stew by Kimchi Mom inspired by Family Foodie
- Lentils and Chorizo Stew by Galactosemia in PDX inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Carnitas Pizza w/ Chipotle-Avocado Crema by girlichef inspired by Damn Delicious
- Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas by Country Girl in the Village inspired by Webicurean
- Drunken Meatballs by Small Wallet Big Appetite inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
- Goat Cheese Rigatoni Alfredo by Magnolia Days inspired by Family Foodie
- Dorie’s Chicken-in-the-Pot by Hip Foodie Mom inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Pulled Pickled Pork by Juanita’s Cocina inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Hoisin Asian Meatballs by Gotta Get Baked inspired by Damn Delicious
- Shrimp-Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes by Daily Dish Recipes inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Soy, Orange Juice and Red Wine Marinade by Peanut Butter and Peppers inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Burger with Curried Cabbage Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings inspired by Soni’s Food
- Corn and Basil Handpies by Curious Cuisiniere inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lightened Up Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken by Cupcakes and Kale Chips inspired by The Meltaways
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Chili by Food Lust People Love inspired by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bigos by Maroc Mama inspired by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips with Sweet Chili Sauce by From Fast Food to Fresh Food inspired by Crispy Bits and Burnt Ends
- Pork Loin with Port Shallot Sauce by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Sweet & Tender Brisket by Daddy Knows Less inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Fish Tacos by Cookistry inspired by Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Homemade Harissa by Masala Herb inspired by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Family Foodie inspired by Kimchi Mom
- New Orleans Style White Beans & Rice by Catholic Foodie inspired by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle
- Spice Rubbed Chicken Tacos with Tropical Salsa by The Urban Mrs. inspired by Family Foodie
- Mac n Cheese Cups with Pork Shoulder Ragu by Crispy Bits and Burnt Ends inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
Sunday Supper Veggies:
- Carrots au Gratin by Shockingly Delicious inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Skillet Spinach Corn with Edamame, Cilantro & Bacon Bits by The Lovely Pantry inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sunday Supper Desserts and Snacks:
- Chocolate Brownie Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake inspired by Magnolia Days
- Mexican Hot Cocoa Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Cinnamon Apple Chimichangas by La Cocina de Leslie inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Apple Pull Apart Bread with Caramel Drizzle by Cravings of a Lunatic inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Cherry Tart by Happy Baking Days inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Orange Rolls by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Caramel Apple Bread by The Foodie Army Wife inspired by Fam Friends Food
- Rosettes by Simply Gourmet inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Donut Puffs by Soni’s Food inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Cut-out Cookies by Basic and Delicious inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Nutella Shortbread Bars by Kelly Bakes inspired by Baker Street
- Butterscotch Pudding Triple Chip Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen inspired by Dinner Dishes and Desserts
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream by The Messy Baker Blog inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Angel Cake Sandwiches by Ninja Baker inspired by That Skinny Girl Can Bake
- Soft Pretzels with Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce by Vintage Kitchen inspired by girlichef
- Sweet N Spicy Roasted Spiced Nuts by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
- Cheesecake with Fresh Berries by An Appealing Plan inspired by The Messy Baker Blog
- Spiced Pumpkin Ricotta Oat Muffins by In the Kitchen with Audrey inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Budget Friendly Breakfast Freezable Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sandwiches by In The Kitchen with KP inspired by Big Bear’s Wife
- Raspberry Hot Chocolate by My Catholic Kitchen inspired by Momma’s Meals
Sunday Supper Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 4 p.m. PT and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.