This is a recipe of only a few words. When something is this easy and perfect, you don’t have to spend a lot of time bragging about it or touting its superiority.
It is what it is, and that’s pretty delicious!
However, it does have these things going for it:
- It’s cheap!
- The onion caramelizes and adds wonderful flavor. (Your kids will not be able to pick the onion out.)
- It is great on a hot day, when you don’t need to heat up the kitchen any more than it already is. (Or put the Crock-Pot in the garage and let it cook there.)
- It’s also a perfect make-ahead, since it stores well in the refrigerator or freezer, ready to pull out and reheat.
- Think about long soccer weekends in the fall. This is a dinner solution!
All you need is an onion, a piece of meat, a Crock-Pot and some time. Later, you need a bun and some barbecue sauce. That’s it!
Recipe: Shredded Beef Brisket in the Crock-Pot (BBQ Beef Sandwiches)
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced into half moons
- 1 piece boneless, flat cut beef brisket, visible fat trimmed off (1 1/2-2-ish pounds?)
- Barbecue sauce
- Spray the inside of the crock with nonstick spray. Toss in the onion slices. Lay the beef on top of the onions. Set it on high and walk away for 6-8 hours; resist the urge to open the lid and check on it, because you will let out a lot of heat and it will take additional time to come back up to temperature.
- It might be done before that…I forgot about it until 8 hours. Test the beef to see if it shreds (use two forks and try to pull it apart. If it comes apart easily, it’s done. If you feel like you are fighting with it, let it cook another hour or longer; then test again.
- Let meat cool. When cool, completely shred with two forks or your hands (I prefer hand method) and add barbecue sauce, stirring until it is the consistency you like. Store in the refrigerator in a covered container.
- When ready to serve, reheat in the microwave, and portion onto toasted buns. Eat and enjoy!
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 6-7 hours
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Want another easy Crock-Pot recipe?