Although we truly love my version of Julia Child’s simple potato onion soup, and could eat it every other day, sometimes we want potato soup on the fly, without an hour-long simmer and any forethought.
In that case, I rely on my favorite pouch of dehydrated potatoes for this easy version, which I whipped up after a vacation when there was no food in the house. I got the idea to simply double the water for the mashed potatoes, which made a perfectly thick soup. By the time the water was boiling, I had retrieved some ham out of the freezer and defrosted it, and rustled up some pesto from the back of the fridge and a coupla carrots from the nether regions of the veggie drawer.
Recipe: 10-Minute Potato Ham Soup with Pesto Swirl
Summary: With seasoned, dehydrated potatoes, a quick potato soup is a mere 10 minutes away, embellished with some ham, veggies and a pesto swirl.
- 4 cups water
- 1 (4.1-ounce) pouch Idahoan Roasted Garlic and Parmesan Baby Reds flavored mashed potatoes (dehydrated)
- 2 tablespoons Kale Pesto
- 2 carrots, cut into small dice
- 6-7 ounces cooked ham, diced
- Bring water to a boil in a medium pot. Once boiling, turn off heat, pour dehydrated potatoes in, put lid on pot and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put Kale Pesto in a small cup, add 2-3 teaspoons of water and stir to loosen. Set aside.
- Put diced carrots in a small bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- When time is up, remove lid from pot and stir in ham. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle top with carrots and spoon on a swirl of pesto.
- Serves 3 (large bowls) or 4 (medium bowls).
You may use any pesto you like. I used Kale Pesto because I had it leftover in the refrigerator (it keeps for weeks), but certainly traditional basil pesto would be wonderful, as would cilantro pesto or arugula or parsley – use what you have!
Created by Dorothy Reinhold / Shockingly Delicious.
See this page for all the wonderful #SundaySupper dishes I have made since I joined this group.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 3-4
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
This week our #SundaySupper cooks are channeling our favorite movie-inspired recipes. I love the movie “Julie & Julia,” and so my thoughts went to my favorite Julia Child recipe for potato soup, and then, of course, I needed to make it fast and furious for this busy time of year, so this version was born. Check out all the other fun recipes spun off our creative cinematic minds:
Toast (bready things)
- Scones (inspired by Tea with Mussolini) – Country Girl in the Village
- Croque Monsieur (inspired by It’s Complicated) – That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- “Eat Me” Blueberry Lemon Scones (inspired by Alice in Wonderland) – The Messy Baker
- Dog Bone Breadsticks (inspired by Frankenweenie) – The Urban Mrs.
- Individual Deep Dish Pizzas (inspired by Mystic Pizza) – Momma’s Meals
- Basic Bread Recipe (inspired by Agora) – Masala Herb
- Mystical Double Cheese Pizza (inspired by Mystic Pizza) – Webicurean
- Vanilla Cinnamon Pancakes (inspired by No Reservations) – Pies and Plots
No Reservations (soups and salads)
- 10-Minute Potato Ham Soup with Pesto Swirl (inspired by Julie & Julia) – Shockingly Delicious
- Alaska Smoked Salmon, Celery, and Apple Salad (inspired by Salmon Fishing in the Yemen) – Pescetarian Journal
Today’s Special (fish, chicken, beef, and pork)
- الدار البيضاء Fish Tajine (inspired by Casablanca) – Maroc Mama
- Beef and Onions Braised in Beer (inspired by Julie & Julia) – Magnolia Days
- Spicy Seared Tuna with Balsamic Reduction (inspired by Big Fish) – I Run For Wine
- Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs (inspired by Brave) – Big Bear’s Wife
- Puerco Pibil (inspired by Once Upon a Time in Mexico) – From the Bookshelf
Forks Over Knives (veggie-heavy dishes and sides)
- Eggplant in Garlic Sauce (inspired by The Joy Luck Club) – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Beet Chips (inspired by Food Matters) – girlichef
- Ratatouille (inspired by Ratatouille) – Noshing With The Nolands
- Mushroom and Asparagus Mini Quiches (inspired by Sixteen Candles) - Home Cooking Memories
- Veg Samosas (inspired by Monsoon Wedding) – My Cute Bride
- Not So Fried Green Tomatoes (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) – Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Roasted Taters with Bacon (inspired by Lord of the Rings) – Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Basil Grits (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) - Diabetic Foodie
Udon (pasta and noodles)
- Big Night Timpano (inspired by Big Night) - Kimchi Mom
- Better Baked Mac & Cheese (inspired by Soul Food) - What Smells So Good?
- Spaghetti with Meatballs and Gravy (inspired by Lady and the Tramp) – Juanita’s Cocina
- Spicy Sichuan Noodles (inspired by Eat Drink Man Woman) – Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Tchoupitoulas Pasta (inspired by Last Holiday) – Gourmet Drizzles
Just Desserts (sweet treats)
- The Best Chocolate Cake (inspired by Chocolat) – The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate Almond Torte with Raspberries (inspired by Chocolat) – Vintage Kitchen
- Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size (BOUS’) (inspired by The Princess Bride) – The Cooking Actress
- Minny’s Chocolate Pie (inspired by The Help) – Daily Dish Recipes
- Pao de Lo | Portuguese Bundt Sponge Cake (inspired by My Big Fat Greek Wedding) – Family Foodie
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie (inspired by Life of Pi) – No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Fantasia Cakes (inspired by Disney’s Fantasia) – NinjaBaking. com
- Chocolate Dipped Almond Coconut Bars (inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) – Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- (Gluten Free) Orange Soda Pound Cake (inspired by Joe Vs The Volcano) – Blueberries and Blessings
- Peach and Berry Cobbler (inspired by Soul Food) – The Lovely Pantry
- Golden Ticket Peanut Butter-Pretzel Truffles (inspired by Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) – Weekend Gourmet
- French Macarons (inspired by Marie Antoinette) – Happy Baking Days
- Pistachio and Cherry Cannoli Cups (inspired by The Godfather) – Peanut Butter and Peppers
Bottle Shock (beverages)
- Raspberry Cordial (inspired by Anne of Green Gables) – NeighborFood
- Grapefruit Flirtini (inspired by Sex and the City) – Ruffles & Truffles
- Wines To Pair With #SundaySupper Movie-Inspired Recipes (inspired by Sideways) – ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, April 14 to talk all about movies that have inspired us to head into the kitchen, and the food that comes from that inspiration (4 p.m. EST)! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.