Whether you’re going meatless as a way of life, as a Meatless Monday ritual, or just because you don’t have anything else in the house, you’ve come to the right place.
Our Sunday Supper cooks offer a delectable array of options today on the virtual buffet table. Why don’t you bookmark this and work your way through this list of great recipes all year?
My inspiration came from leftover grains – I had both cooked brown rice and cooked farro (my new favorite grain) in the refrigerator, and they were sitting there unloved.
I decided to make them best friends with a few pantry options, and whaddya know, it turned out extremely well!
Recipe: Vegan Chickpea Chile Soup with Greens and Grains
Summary: Serendipitous leftover rice and farro lead to a wonderfully delicious vegetarian/vegan soup full of chickpeas, tomatoes, chiles and greens.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon mild Hatch chile powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 (14- to 15-ounce) can diced tomatoes in own juice
- 1 (15- to 19-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3-4 ounces roasted chopped Hatch chiles (or use diced canned green chiles)
- 3 cups homemade vegetable broth (low-salt canned is fine, but watch the salt in step 1)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup leftover cooked brown rice (or other grain)
- 1 cup leftover cooked farro or other (or other grain)
- 1 (5-ounce) package mixed greens (I used Organic Girl Five Happiness Greens)
- In a soup pot, heat oil and add onion. Sauté onion for 5-7 minutes, until it softens and begins to turn light brown on the edges. Add garlic, chile powder, oregano and salt and sauté for another minute or so to cook the garlic.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, Hatch chiles, broth and water, put lid on pot and simmer for 15-30 or so minutes (split-second timing isn’t important in this soup), to marry the flavors.
- Add rice and farro (or whatever other cooked grains you are using), cover and simmer another 5 or so minutes, until everything is piping hot.
- To serve, add a big handful of greens to each bowl, ladle hot soup on top, and enjoy! (Hot soup will wilt the greens just enough.)
- Serves 4.
See this page for all the wonderful #SundaySupper dishes I have made since I joined, and links to all the other delicious dishes made by my fellow cooks in past weeks.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Diet type: Vegan, vegetarian
Diet tags: Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Today’s Sunday Supper recipes
This week our #SundaySupper blogger crew is celebrating Meatless Meals, hosted by Tammi of Momma’s Meals. Take a look at our tempting feast!
Salads, Soups, Stews and Starters
- Spicy Vegan Potato Salad by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Veggie Salad Trio with Zucchini Noodles and Pesto by Hip Foodie Mom
- Olive Tapenade by MealDiva
- Chickpea Chile Soup with Greens and Grains by Shockingly Delicious
- Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Potato Chickpea Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- “Beef” Stew with Potato Cake Tops by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Teriyaki Quinoa “Meatballs” by The Foodie Patootie
- Black Bean “Meatballs” with Marinara by Foxes Love Lemons
- Spicy Vegetarian Meatballs by Mess Makes Food
Pastas, Pizzas and Casseroles
- Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet Lasagna by Curious Cuisiniere
- Four Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Shells by Melanie Makes
- Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cheesy Tomato Casserole by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Deconstructed Vegan “Lasagna” by What Smells So Good?
- Ramen Stir Fry by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Broccolini Macaroni and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Sundried Tomato and Zucchini Pizza with Goat Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Leek Pasta by Neighborfood
- Roasted Veggie Manicotti by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pasta Patate by Webicurean
- Spaghetti and Chickpeas and Roasted Tomato Sauce by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli, Mushroom, and Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Radicchio and Gorgonzola Tortelloni with Butter and Walnuts by Manu’s Menu
- Quinoa Black Bean Burger with Ginger Cilantro & Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garbanzo and Brown Rice Burgers by girlichef
- Tofu Burgers by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Tacos & Everything Wrapped
- Blackened Tofu Tacos with Asian Slaw by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mushroom & Poblano Tacos by La Cocina de Leslie
- Green Chile Enchiladas by Cookin’ Mimi
- Beet and Goat Cheese Tacos with Avocado Cream by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Black Bean and Avocado Flautas by Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Spinach Quinoa Burritos by Alida’s Kitchen
Other Main and Side Dishes
- Vegan, Gluten Free Breakfast Bars by Pies and Plots
- Mushroom and Lentil Cottage Pie by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mediterranean Tomato Tart by Magnolia Days
- Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fontina Polenta with Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Leek and Zucchini Tarte Tatin by Food Lust People Love
- Tofu and Peas Curry (Tofu Matar) by Soni’s Food
Join us around the family table for #SundaySupper
- Twitter how-to: Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day on Twitter to see our recipes. To join the conversation anytime, simply use the #SundaySupper hashtag to share your favorite tips and recipes.
- Pinterest: Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more recipes and photos.
- Join: To join the Sunday Supper Movement, sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Melissa’s Produce sent the Hatch chiles and chile powder for recipe development.