Squeaky clean tasting, light, bracingly fresh and seasonal as can be, this blueberry sorbet might well be the “it” dessert of spring and summer.
These things are indisputable: Dark blue is calm and cooling. Blueberries are good for you. And pure Chilean blueberry juice is among the best quality in the world. Put them all together and you have a sublime sorbet.
I feel more relaxed and healthy just thinking about it.
Recipe: Blueberry Sorbet
Summary: Squeaky clean tasting, light, bracingly fresh and seasonal as can be, blueberry sorbet is the “it” dessert of summer, and perfect for a backyard BBQ.
- 18 ounces fresh blueberries (I used 3 6-ounce containers, which equals 18 ounces)
- 8-8 ½ ounces pure cold blueberry juice (I used blueberry juice from Chile)
- 6 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 1 tablespoon Crème de Cassis or Chambord (could also use St. Germain or even vodka)
- 1 tablespoon Meyer lemon juice
- Sprinkle of salt
- Wash, dry and puree blueberries using a food processor. I used a mini processor and did the berries in 2 batches. Place puree in a 4-cup measure. Add blueberry juice, sugar, liqueur, lemon juice and a tiny sprinkle of salt. Stir well to combine and dissolve the sugar.
- You may either use the mixture to make sorbet immediately, or refrigerate it for a couple of hours. If you begin with a cold mixture, freezing time is faster.
- To make now: Pour mixture into ice cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Mine took about 20 minutes. Your mileage may vary depending on your machine and how cold your mixture is when you begin.
- Remove frozen sorbet from machine and either eat immediately, or spoon into containers with tight fitting lids. Freeze for several hours for best scooping results.
- Serves 6-8.
Foods from Chile sent the blueberry juice for recipe development.
Dorothy Reinhold / Shockingly Delicious.
See this page for all the wonderful #SundaySupper dishes I have made since I joined this group, and links to all the other delicious dishes made by my fellow cooks.
Preparation time: 8 minutes
Freezing time: 20-30 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian, vegan
Diet tags: Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 6-8
Culinary tradition: USA (Nouveau)
The #SundaySupper group is throwing a summer BBQ today, offering recipes for all things fit for a summer celebration! Try my Blueberry Sorbet (as part of a red, white and blue dessert perhaps?), or any of the other delicious suggestions below.
Here’s what we’ve cooked up for you today:
Hot Off the Grill:
- Best Grilled Pork Chops by Hezzi-D’s Books & Cooks
- Bleu Cheese Burgers by Juanita’s Cocina
- Korean Grilled Flank Steak by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Swedish Blonde Burgers by Eat, Move, Shine
- Hawaiian Hot Dogs by La Cocina De Leslie
- BBQing the Whole Hog, Cuban Style by Webicurean
- Meat Stuffed Jalapenos by The Urban Mrs
- St. Louis Ribs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Fish Kebabs with Mint Chutney by Soni’s Food
- Jalapeno Bacon Burgers by Cookin’ Mimi
- Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Bacon Burgers by In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Pork Sliders with Peanut Sauce & Apple Slaw by Foxes Love Lemons
- Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Breasts by Sustainable Dad
- Ditch Dogs by Daily Dish Recipes
- Bison Kabobs by Noshing With The Nolands
On the Side:
- Spicy Baked Beans by The Messy Baker
- Wisconsin Roasted Corn by Curious Cuisiniere
- German Potato Salad by The Foodie Army Wife
- Grilled Baby Potatoes With Peppers And Onions by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sausage Potato Salad by girlichef
- Lightened Up Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Homemade Mustards by A Stack of Dishes
- Spicy Grilled Corn Salad by Magnolia Days
- Layered California Pasta Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Potato Salad by In Fine Balance
- Spicy Bacon and Corn Salad by Hip Foodie Mom
- Three Corns with Japanese Accents by Ninja Baking
- Cucumber Bruschetta by Healthy. Delicious.
- Grilled Zucchini by Supper for a Steal
- Chicken Spinach & Pasta Salad by Family Foodie
- Red, White & Blue Parfait by Country Girl in the Village
- Root Beer Float Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Gluten Free Brownies by Blueberries & Blessings
- Grilled Stone Fruit Parfait by Pescetarian Journal
- Blueberry Sorbet by Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Tres Leches Cake by Happy Baking Days
- Beach Cupcakes by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Grilled Banana Dessert Bar by Home Cooking Memories
- Berries & Cream Pie by Treats & Trinkets
- Raspberry Lemonade Frozen Yogurt Pops by Runner’s Tales
- More S’mores by Growing Up Gabel
- Blackberry Peach Cobbler by Neighborfood
- Cornbread Cookies by Pies & Plots
- Funfetti Fluff Cheerio Treats by What Smells So Good?
- Pineapple Pudding by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
In the Cooler:
- Cherry Caipiroska by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Mint Tea Slushes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Prickly Pear Margaritas by Ruffles & Truffles
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 p.m. ET and you don’t want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. And check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos!