Avocados are so plentiful, pretty and perfect these days, the bins overflow at the market and they practically jump into the cart!
So seize the day, and once you have had your fill of guacamole, broaden your reach. Avocados are smooth, creamy, a bit nutty sometimes, and sport a wonderful soft green color, which reminded me of dessert. So I took advantage of my brand new ice cream maker, yet again. Yes, this is one dangerous machine.
I was inspired also by a tube of Gourmet Garden Lemon Grass Herb Blend that I got from attending Camp Blogaway, the weekend retreat for food bloggers. The Gourmet Garden people introduced us to many of their herbs-in-a-tube at camp; the Lemon Grass was my favorite.
I can rarely find fresh lemon grass at the markets I usually haunt, so lemon grass chopped up in a tube sounded like a good idea to me. It was! The sour lemony, herbaceous flavor of lemon grass came through but didn’t overpower. It plays very nicely with avocado, for a pairing that tastes like it has always been a natural.
Recipe: Avocado Lemon Grass Ice Cream
- 2 ripe California avocados (6-7 ounces each) (I prefer Haas avocados)
- 3 1/2-4 tablespoons freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Gourmet Garden Lemon Grass Herb Blend
- Cut avocados in half, remove pits and spoon flesh into a blender or small food processor. Whirl for about 30 seconds, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary. It will make a smooth paste.
- Scrape paste into a lidded quart container. Stir in lemon juice, half and half, sugar and lemon grass, until well combined and sugar has dissolved.
- Put lid on and refrigerate until cold, at least 3 hours or overnight. (The lemon juice will keep it from becoming brown.)
- Pour avocado mixture into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. This should take about 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or return ice cream to lidded container and freeze.
- Makes 6-8 servings. Small servings suffice!
–I am indebted to Sandy Hu for the inspiration for my ice cream!
What else to do with lemon grass?
Hooked on lemon grass? Try this Grilled Lemongrass Ginger Chicken
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooling time: 3 hours + 30 minutes in the ice cream freezer
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 6-8 (small servings)
Culinary tradition: USA (Nouveau)
What else interesting have you done with avocados? Tell me in the comments!