A first baby prompts an outpouring of gifts and good wishes and hoopla, often with multiple showers thrown, right?
Sometimes not so much the second baby. Been there, done that. The parents already have most of what they need, and what they don’t have — a good night’s sleep and extra hours in the day — no one can give them.
But when we learned our cyber pal Tara, of Tara’s Multicultural Table, was due with her second child in March, we didn’t want her to go without a celebration. So today we’re throwing her a biscotti baby shower! Why biscotti? They’re twice baked. Get it? Thanks to Lauren from the blog Sew You Think You Can Cook for planning the whole surprise. (We all know each other from Secret Recipe Club.)
Being the rugged individualist I am, I decided to let everyone else turn on the oven for biscotti, while I cut some fresh fruit and a cucumber for a refreshing beverage I am calling Spa Water.
It couldn’t be easier to make, and if you can see the photo, you know what the recipe is. But for those who feel like they need an actual recipe, here it is:
And it turns out that baby Claire couldn’t wait to see the world, and arrived a few weeks early, so while this is still a surprise shower for Tara, her real surprise is already here.
And she’s perfect.
Congratulations, Tara and family!
Here are our offerings for tired-but-happy Tara. Wouldn’t you like to make something from this list?
Biscotti to celebrate the bundle of joy
- Biscotti Bites from Nicole at I am a Honey Bee
- Blueberry Pecan Biscotti from Renee at Magnolia Days
- Cinnamon Biscotti from Lauren at Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti from Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Dark Chocolate Orange Biscotti from Amy at Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Green Tea Biscotti Cookies from Rebekah at Making Miracles
- Jam-Filled Mandelbrot from Kelly at Passion Kneaded
- Maple Walnut Biscotti from Sally at Bewitching Kitchen
- Nut-Free Anise Biscotti with Chocolate Chips from Susan at The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Orange and Dark Chocolate Biscotti from Lynsey at Lynsey Lou’s
- Parmesan-Peppercorn Biscotti from Camilla at Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Tangelo, Date, and Almond Biscotti from Karen at Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Beverage for the new mom
Disclosure: Melissa’s Produce contributed the Ojai Pixie Tangerines for recipe development.