Serving a healthy salad for dinner is one of the best ways I know to eat a good #SundaySupper without overindulging in anything but flavor.
Nutrient-dense kale starts us off, and to that we add protein-y chickpeas and canned wild salmon. It’s all anointed in a light, orangy dressing made from tart Seville oranges, in season right now. Because they are quite sour, they’re usually made into a classic orange marmalade, but I’m using them as a stand-in for lemons in this dressing.
You won’t feel deprived of anything, I promise!
Recipe: Raw Kale Salad with Chickpeas and Salmon in Orange Dressing
Summary: Healthy kale, chickpeas and wild salmon are anointed in a tangy Seville orange dressing to make a Raw Kale Salad perfect for a light dinner.
- 4-5 lacinato kale leaves, washed, stemmed and cut into thin ribbons (chiffonade cut)
- 1 (15-ounce) can organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (6-ounce) can wild Alaskan salmon, drained (I used Bear & Wolf Pink Salmon from Costco)
- 1 Seville orange (need 4 tablespoons juice and 1 teaspoon zest)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced Kalamata olives (or use tapenade)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- ¾ teaspoon dried dill
- Garnish: 3 tangerines (1 for each serving, segmented) and 6 Kalamata olives (2 for each salad, halved)
- Add all ingredients to a large salad bowl. Stir and toss to combine well. Place in a lidded container and allow to marinate and rest in the refrigerator for 4-24 hours, for best results. This variety of kale will hold up well overnight!
- Serve in wide bowls and garnish with tangerine segments and Kalamata olive halves if you like.
Dorothy Reinhold original recipe
These sour oranges are prized for making orange marmalade, and are quite juicy and seedy. Seville oranges give this salad a crisp, clean taste. Melissa’s Produce sent a sample of the Seville Oranges for recipe testing.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Diet type: Pescatarian
Number of servings (yield): 3
Culinary tradition: USA (Nouveau)
Take a look at all the skinny, delicious things our #SundaySupper cooks made!
Sizzling Skinny Appetizers & Soups
- Napa Cabbage wrapped Chinese Spring Rolls by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- #DairyFree Cream of Broccoli Soup by Galactosemia in PDX
- Easy Vegan Lentil Soup by NeighborFood
- Spicy Asian Chicken Noodle Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Tomato Basil Soup by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Skinny Beef Chili by Webicurean
Healthy Skinny Mains & Sides
- Chicken with Herb Tomatoes and Pan Sauce by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Kale Salad with Pomegranates, Apples and Walnuts by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Skinny Salad Wraps by MamaMommyMom
- Mashed Cauliflower by Supper for a Steal
- Lamb Florentine Burger with Tzatziki by Country Girl in the Village
- Skinny Avocado Egg Salad Wraps by The Daily Dish Recipes
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad by Family Foodie
- Parchment-Poached Salmon by Simply Gourmet
- Maddy’s Arugula Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cauliflower Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Light chicken enchiladas by My Cute Bride
- Pear Almond Arugula Salad with Honey Vinaigrette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pasta Primavera by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cauliflower Fried Rice by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ahi Tuna Salad by The Urban Mrs
- Soba Noodles with Edamame and Green Onions by Hip Foodie Mom
- Scallops Hong Kong Style by Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Pork and Green Chile Stew by Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Garlic, Chicken & Herb White Pizza by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Polynesian Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Herb Roasted Salmon with Steamed Cabbage & Peas by The Lovely Pantry
- Turkey and Black Bean Taco Burgers by In The Kitchen With K P
- Salmon Tikka Wraps with Cucumber Raita by Soni’s Food
- Whole wheat pasta with Spicy Roasted Cauliflower by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Slow Cooker Baby Back Ribs by I Run For Wine
- Chipotle Black Bean Burgers with Baked Garlic Home Fries by Curious Cuisiniere
- The Ninja Baker’s Sake & Miso Salmon by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers with Parsnip Fries by Gourmet Drizzles
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Smoked Sausage Cassoulet by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots by Mangoes and Chutney
- Italian Sub Salad by Diabetic Foodie
- Swiss Chard and Quinoa Croquettes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli Patties with Arugula and Champagne Vinaigrette by Sustainable Dad
- Raw Kale Salad with Chickpeas and Salmon in Orange Dressing by Shockingly Delicious
- Greek Yogurt Egg Salad Sandwich by Damn Delicious
- Confetti Cabbage and Salmon Wraps by The Roxx Box
- Escarole and Beans by Midlife Roadtrip
- Cajun Black Beans by Ruffles and Truffles
- Caprese salad by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Skinny Wholegrain Fettuccine Alfredo with Greek Yogurt & Coconut Oil by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Guilt Free Skinny Desserts & Snacks
- Chocolate Avocado Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Tiramisu Parfaits by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sugar Free Banana Almond Muffins by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coconut Cinnamon Buns by Juanita’s Cocina
- Warm Apple Crumble by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Dark Chocolate-Dipped Apricots by girlichef
- Homemade Protein Bar Recipe by Masala Herb
- Skinny Chocolate Almond Pudding by Basic N Delicious
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Skinny Sunday Supper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. This week we will be sharing out special skinnified recipes! Our weekly chat starts at 4 p.m. PT and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hash tag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Join us around the family table today (Sun., Feb. 17) at 4 p.m. Pacific Time and share your favorite healthy recipes with us!