Game day needs munchies. I know that, even though I don’t really follow football myself.
Well, “not following” doesn’t honestly describe it. Here’s me, expressing my true feelings about the game.
However, I do have a 12-year-old athlete who loves all sports, and will definitely be watching the game. And I like the camaraderie of a shared event on TV. I just really don’t give a good gory grunt who wins.
So I’m not game to necessarily watch, but I AM game to make an addictive, crunchy, sweet and spicy snack for all the munchers who do care.
Recipe: Honey Mustard Pretzel Crunch
Summary: Sweet, salty, savory, smoky, spicy and crunchy – this addictive snack has all the food groups covered, and is perfect for game day munching.
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 (12-ounce) packages pretzel pieces (honey mustard and onion flavor), such as Snyder’s of Hanover brand
- 3 (6-ounce) can smoked almonds
- 2 tablespoons Melissa’s Hatch Chile Powder (or your favorite chile powder)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly mist 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray, or coat them with oil.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine butter and honey, then cover and heat in the microwave on medium-high until melted. Stir to blend.
- In a large bowl, combine pretzels, almonds and chile powder. Add the butter and honey mixture and mix well. Spread the pretzel mixture in a single layer on the baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool, and then transfer to a serving bowl, toss and serve.
- Serves 6-8.
Pair this with ice-cold beer or a nice Pinot Grigio (Gallo Family Vineyards, anyone?).
“Melissa’s Hatch Chile Cookbook” by Sharon Hernandez and Chef Ida Rodriguez (2013; World Variety Produce, Inc.). Melissa’s sent the cookbook for recipe testing.
See this page for all the wonderful #SundaySupper dishes I have made since I joined this group, and links to all the other delicious dishes made by my fellow cooks.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 17 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 6-8
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
This week our #SundaySupper blogger crew is celebrating Super Eats for Game Day, hosted by Heather of Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks. Check out the variety of things we have cooked up for you! Try my addictive Honey Mustard Pretzel Crunch or find something else from the menu below that rings your chimes:
Game Day Appetizers:
- Honey Mustard Pretzel Crunch from Shockingly Delicious
- Salt and Vinegar Wings from Casa de Crews
- Saucy Wings and Thighs from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Macaroni and Cheese Spring Rolls from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Steak Rolls from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Alpine Sliders from Manu’s Menu
- Hellfire Wings from Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Easy Nacho Bar from Momma’s Meals
- Jalapeno Popper Taquitos from Curious Cuisiniere
- Skinny Game Day Guacamole Potato Skins from Daily Dish Recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Cups from Alida’s Kitchen
- Spinach-Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers from La Cocina de Leslie
- BBQ Veggie Mini Burgers from Happy Baking Days
- Spicy Roasted Corn Shrimp Dip from Food Lust People Love
- Honey-Sriracha Pigs in a Blanket from Hip Foodie Mom
- Beer Cheese Fondue from Melanie Makes
- Cheesy Artichoke and Garlic Bread from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Whole Wheat Pepperoni Pizza Bites from Meal Planning Magic
- Personal Chili Pots from MealDiva
- Italian Spring Rolls from Noshing with The Nolands
- Mexican Meatballs with Queso Blanco from Cooking on the Ranch
- Parmigiano Crisps from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Buffalo Chicken Potstickers from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mediterranean Nachos from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Chinese Barbecue Wings from girlichef
- Mini Veggie Quesadillas from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Roasted Tomato Hummus from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Cashew Baba Ghanoush : Roasted Eggplant Dip from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip Potato Skins from Family Foodie
- Lemon Bay Pan Roasted Shrimp from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventure
- Honey Sesame Seed Crackers from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
Game Day Entrees:
- Super Sloppy Joes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Buffalo Chicken Chili from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mini Meatball and Mozzarella Sandwiches from Cookin’ Mimi
- Super Bowl Bento from Ninja Baking
- Vegetarian “Chorizo” and Black Bean Chili from Foxes Love Lemons
- Twice Baked Chili Cheese Potatoes from Neighborfood
- Barbecue Chicken Sloppy Sandwiches from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Easy Vegetarian Chili from Delaware Girl Eats
- Game Day Chili from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Dr. Pepper Turkey Chili from The Texan New Yorker
Game Day Desserts:
- Heavenly Hash Cookies from The Foodie Patootie
- Cookie Dough Billionaire Bars from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Streusel Bars from Magnolia Days
- Coffee Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake Squares from Desserts Required
- Microwave Caramel Popcorn from Pies and Plots
- Mini Coconut Cups from Basic N Delicious
- Triple Chocolate S’mores Brownies from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Cracker Jack Candy from What Smells So Good?
Join us around the family table for #SundaySupper
- Twitter how-to: Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day on Twitter to see our recipes. To join the conversation anytime, simply use the #SundaySupper hashtag to share your favorite tips and recipes.
- Pinterest: Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more recipes and photos.
- Join: To join the Sunday Supper Movement, sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.