It’s Sunday in September, and for sports fans, that means one thing: FOOTBALL!
Well, actually, it means two things: FOOTBALL and FOOD! Because, let’s face it, football food is reason enough to take the season seriously. The chili, the barbecue, the wings, the football-shaped bean dip, the jerry-rigged “snack stadiums” built of tinfoil and cardboard — I love it all, that game-day grub and the ingenuity behind it.
While watching the game with 100,000 people at the stadium is an adrenalin-pumper, there’s actually nothing better than enjoying the game from the comfort of your own home — tailgating on your own turf, as it were. Shift the La-Z-Boy chair into lounge position, grab a cool beverage and throw on your team’s jersey if that’s your style.
When Gallo Family Vineyards invited Sunday Supper to show you how to tailgate at home, we knew just what to do. We gathered 20 of our favorite recipes, paired them with our favorite Gallo wines and turned on the game.
To our celebration today I brought Triple Hatch Chile Deviled Eggs on my retro thrift store hen plate. Because that’s the way I roll. They look like little footballs, don’t they?
I like the little Gallo mini bottles because it makes it super easy to offer a full variety to your guests, so they can choose what appeals to them without you having to open 11 different bottles of wine. The wines are also perfectly portioned; a bottle = a glass of wine. You can put some crushed ice into a container (even a plastic Tupperware-type thing will do if you don’t have something fancier) and nestle the mini bottles in there.
Speaking of football food, I have a great collection of football-shaped food on my Pinterest board. Take a gander during commercials while you’re watching the game.
Mine are classic deviled eggs that I “seasonalized.” Since it’s Hatch chile season, I added them to the filling and also used them to make kitschy little football laces. Lemon zest adds brightness, olive oil adds a creamy feel, and a little Hatch chile powder sprinkle on the outside completes the picture.
Tell me, how’d I do with my Hatch Chile Deviled Eggs?
This week our #SundaySupper tastemakers are celebrating Tailgating from Home, sponsored by Gallo Family Vineyards. We’re pairing our dishes with Gallo wines this week, for a fun football fest from the comfort of your own living room.
For my Hatch Chile Deviled Eggs, I recommend serving with Gallo’s Pinot Grigio (refreshing, crisp flavors of green apple, white peach and citrus that pairs with the acid [lemon] in the egg filling). If you prefer a red, Gallo’s Merlot (black cherry, ripe plum and oak with a velvety richness) pairs with a wide range of foods and will stand up to the spicy Hatch. You can find Gallo wines widely available in your grocery store, or use their store locator here.
Meanwhile, check out our collection of 20 recipes we have lined up for you today from the talented Sunday Supper tastemakers. Try my Hatch Chile Deviled Eggs, or choose another recipe from the menu below to offer at your party. I have my eye on the Crispy Maple Hot Wings, the Skillet Nachos, followed by the Apple Crisp in a Jar.
No one’s watching how much I eat, right?
Today’s Sunday Supper recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Dip by Whole Food | Real Families
- Chicken Thigh Kabobs with Spiced Yogurt Dip by MealDiva
- Chorizo Queso Dip by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Chorizo Stuffed Mushrooms by Casa de Crews
- Hatch Chile Deviled Eggs by Shockingly Delicious
- Jalapeno Popper Deviled Eggs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Skillet Jalapeno Popper Dip by Life Tastes Good
Game Time Mains
- Al Capone Dog by Palatable Pastime
- Bacon Bleu Cheese Sliders by The Crumby Cupcake
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Quail by Flavor Mosaic
- Brat Burger by Curious Cuisiniere
- Brie Tomato and Quinoa by Family Foodie
- Crispy Chicken Wings by Feeding Big
- Crispy Maple Hot Wings by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Melty Turkey Cheese Sliders by Feed Me, Seymour
- Sticky Sweet and Sour Baby Back Ribs by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
The Victory Celebration
- Apple Crisp in a Jar by Desserts Required
- Caramel Apple Dip by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Double Crusted Apple Pie Galette by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Grandma’s Brownies by Alida’s Kitchen
Who says you have to be at the stadium to tailgate? Here are Five Easy Tailgate Food Tips plus Football Party Recipes #SundaySupper with Gallo Family Vineyards. Need more tips on tailgate planning? Check out Gallo Family Vineyards’ blog.
Join us around the family table for #SundaySupper
- Twitter how-to: Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day on Twitter to see our recipes. To join the conversation anytime, simply use the #SundaySupper hashtag to share your favorite tips and recipes.
- Pinterest: Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more recipes and photos.
- Join: To join the Sunday Supper Movement, sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed here are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards. Gallo would love it if you connected with them on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube. I enjoy chatting with them on their social media about wine pairings with my recipes; they’re good with an answer if you are waffling on what wine variety goes with what you are serving.