The less said about some things, the better. Let the quality speak for itself.
Suffice it to say, then, that this is simply one of the best Blackberry Sorbets ever. EVER! On scale of 1-5, I give it 10 stars!
That alone qualifies it as the perfect Mother’s Day dessert. That it is light and fruity tasting is icing on the cake.
It’s so good my daughter asked for me to “always have this in the freezer. Always.” My husband rolled his eyes back in his head while spooning it out of the container, with a grunt. That qualifies as always for him.
Make it, for your mom, for your family, for yourself.
Recipe: Fresh Blackberry Elderflower Sorbet
- Wash and dry berries, and whirl them in the food processor until pureed, about 15-30 seconds. Put puree into a 4-cup measuring cup. It will make about 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups puree.
- In another measuring cup, add sugar and water and stir to dissolve. (No need to heat it; the sugar will dissolve.) Stir in lemon juice, St. Germain and salt. Pour sugar mixture into berry mixture, stir to combine, and refrigerate 30-60 minutes, until chilled.
- Pour chilled mixture into ice cream freezer and freeze, following manufacturer’s instructions. Mine took about 25-30 minutes to freeze properly.
- When done, serve sorbet and eat immediately, or scoop it into a container with a tight lid and freeze for longer storage.
- Serves 6-8. Small portions are perfect.
- This sorbet has seeds in it. If you cannot tolerate seeds, strain the puree through a fine sieve after you whirl it.
- I found my small food processor perfect for this job. I pureed the berries in two batches.
- My usual high score of 5 stars didn’t suffice, so I declare this a 10-star dessert!
If you don’t have or can’t find St. Germain Liqueur, feel free to substitute a blackberry liqueur, Cassis or Chambord. The alcohol helps the mixture from freezing rock hard and helps to prevent ice crystals. St. Germain makes a delightful cocktail, as well, so you won’t have trouble using the rest of it. Or send it to me.
Recipe by Dorothy Reinhold / Shockingly Delicious.
Driscoll’s sent the berries for recipe development.
See this page for all the wonderful #SundaySupper dishes I have made since I joined this group, and links to all the other delicious dishes made by my fellow cooks.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooling time: 30-60 minutes + 30 minutes churning time
Diet type: Vegetarian, Vegan
Diet tags: Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 6-8
Culinary tradition: USA (Nouveau)
Mother’s Day Brunch:
- Blueberry Coffee Cake from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cornbread Pancakes with Blackberries from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Crepes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hot N Sweet Mango Chutney from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Lemon Glazed Raspberry Scones from Juanita’s Cocina
- Quiche Lorraine from Supper for a Steal
- Seafood Quiche from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Strawberry Rhubarb Compote from Noshing with the Nolands
- Sweet French Breakfast Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Vidalia Onion Quiche from Comfy Cuisine
Mother’s Day Entrees:
- Cod with Stewed Tomatoes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches with Herbed Goat Cheesefrom Foxes Love Lemons
- Lemon Risotto from Healthy. Delicious.
- Lobster Ravioli with Shrimp Caper Sauce from Family Foodie
- Pork dumpling (Shumai) from The Urban Mrs.
Mother’s Day Sides:
- Spaetzle from Magnolia Days
Mother’s Day Desserts and Drinks:
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls from Gotta Get Baked
- Chocolate Kahlua Cream Pie from Ruffles & Truffles
- Espresso Brownies from What Smells So Good?
- Fresh Blackberry Elderflower Sorbet from Shockingly Delicious
- Fresh Fig and Walnut Pie from Vintage Kitchen
- Gluten Free Coconut Cake with Chocolate Ganache, Berries, and Fresh Whipped Cream from Neighborfood
- Lavender Shortbread Cookies from girlichef
- Lemon Meringue Pie from Pies and Plots
- Lemon Petit Fours from Home Cooking Memories
- Lemon Sorbet in Prosecco from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Milky Way Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Coconut Pies from La Cocina de Leslie
- Mini Strawberry and Cheese Pies from Basic N Delicious
- Mom’s Apple Crisp from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mom’s Texas Sheetcake from Daily Dish Recipes
- Raspberry and Hazlenut Friands from Happy Baking Days
- Semolina Balls (Suji Laddoo) from Soni’s Food
- Too-Good-to-Be-Lowfat Chocolate Eclair Icebox Dessert from The Weekend Gourmet
Don’t forget to join the #SundaySupper chat on Twitter today (Sun., May 12, 2013) to celebrate Mother’s Day! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share our delicious recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7 p.m. EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.