The hit of a recent Food Bloggers Los Angeles potluck meeting, at which the theme was salads, was a simple cold pea salad.
And it wasn’t just cold, it was made with frozen peas. Still frozen. I’ll wait while you absorb that.
It was brought by my 35+ year friend Jeannette Hartman, who isn’t a food blogger but is really a pet blogger at Fido Confidential. She and I used to be reporters together at my first newspaper job, and we became friends and co-conspirators when it came to outsmarting our long-suffering city editor.
Why did we let a pet blogger into our midst? Well, she likes hanging with food bloggers because we’re nicer and more fun than the pet bloggers (!), and she’s a great cook, so things all fall into place, don’t they? (She also earned her way in with three recipes for Homemade Dog Biscuits over on her blog, so check them out if you have a pooch.)
She got the Cold Pea Salad recipe from Simply Recipes, but has made some changes after she tasted it. All the variations are hers.
This would make a great picnic salad. Mix it up before you go, and tote it in a zipper-top plastic bag embedded in a bowl of ice. Those peas stayed semi-frozen for a remarkably long time at our luncheon!
Recipe: Cold Pea Salad
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen petite peas, unthawed (yes, keep them frozen)
- 1 (6-ounce) can smokehouse almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, rinsed and sliced or chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the peas, green onions almonds and water chestnuts. Mix the mayo and curry powder in a separate bowl.
- Gently fold the mayonnaise mixture into the peas. Add the salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Serves 6
“The curry powder is probably the most important ingredient in this recipe. Curry powders vary tremendously, as do tastes. Martha Stewart has a pretty good curry recipe that I’m going to be playing with in the future.”
- Substitute wasabi almonds for smokehouse almonds
- Substitute horseradish for the curry powder
- Substitute crispy, crumbled, well-drained bacon for the nuts and Dijon mustard for the curry powder
- Add diced leftover chicken to make this an entree salad
- Perhaps substitute Chobani yogurt for the mayo?
- Perhaps use some yogurt, honey and mint?
- Perhaps make it Vietnamese style with finely sliced basil, mint, cilantro and cayenne mixed into either the yogurt or mayo?
See this page for all the wonderful #SundaySupper dishes I have made since I joined this group, and links to all the other delicious dishes made by my fellow cooks.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
This week our #SundaySupper crew is celebrating all things picnic. Look at the variety of ideas we have for you! Try this Cold Pea Salad, or find something else from the menu below that floats your boat:
Salads and Slaws:
- Bacon Ranch Potato Salad from Juanita’s Cocina
- Caprese Spinach Salad from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken Chopped Salad from Table for Seven
- Cold Pea Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Creamy Potato Salad with Roasted Pears, Cilantro and Romano Cheese from Gourmet Drizzles
- German Potato Salad from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Hawaiian Cole Slaw from Curious Cuisiniere
- Italian Chopped Salad from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Kale Pasta Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mizeria (Polish Cucumber Salad) from From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- PA Dutch Pepper Cabbage from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pineapple Slaw from I Run For Wine
- Spaghetti Salad from Country Girl in the Village
- Tortellini Pasta Salad from Supper for a Steal
Sandwiches and Mains:
- Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich from Momma’s Meals
- Caramelized Onion, Goat Cheese, and Tomato Sandwich from Magnolia Days
- Grilled Bratwurst and Onion Open-Face Sandwiches from The Urban Mrs
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Green Goddess Sauce from Foxes Love Lemons
- Herbs-Garlic and Parmesan Croissants from Basic N Delicious
- Indian Spiced Chicken Drumsticks from Soni’s Food
- Japanese Picnic Bento Box from The Ninja Baker
- Mini Chicken Salad, Avocado and Cheese Subs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Moroccan Fried Chicken from MarocMama
- Pepper, Spinach and Goat’s Cheese Quiche from Happy Baking Days
- Picnic Basket Buttermilk Fried Chicken from Noshing with the Nolands
- Salmon in a Jar from Healthy. Delicious.
- Smoked Trout Deviled Eggs from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spam Musubi fromKimchi Mom
- Apricot Oat Nut Bars from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Treat Pops from In The Kitchen With KP
- Cocoa Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fruit Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fruit Salad with Honey Port Drizzle from Family Foodie
- Loaded Butterscotch Bars from Vintage Kitchen
- Nathan’s Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treat Truffles from Chocolate Moosey
- Shandy Popsicles With Raspberries from Ruffles & Truffles
- Texas Sheet Cake with Pecan Frosting from Food Lust People Love
- Triple Chocolate Punch Bowl Cake from Neighborfood