Recipe: Cold Pea Salad
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen petite peas, unthawed (yes, keep them frozen)
- 1 (6-ounce) can smokehouse almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, rinsed and sliced or chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the peas, green onions almonds and water chestnuts. Mix the mayo and curry powder in a separate bowl.
- Gently fold the mayonnaise mixture into the peas. Add the salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Serves 6
“The curry powder is probably the most important ingredient in this recipe. Curry powders vary tremendously, as do tastes. Martha Stewart has a pretty good curry recipe  that I’m going to be playing with in the future.”
- Substitute wasabi almonds for smokehouse almonds
- Substitute horseradish for the curry powder
- Substitute crispy, crumbled, well-drained bacon for the nuts and Dijon mustard for the curry powder
- Add diced leftover chicken to make this an entree salad
- Perhaps substitute Chobani yogurt for the mayo?
- Perhaps use some yogurt, honey and mint?
- Perhaps make it Vietnamese style with finely sliced basil, mint, cilantro and cayenne mixed into either the yogurt or mayo?
See this page  for all the wonderful #SundaySupper dishes I have made since I joined this group, and links to all the other delicious dishes made by my fellow cooks.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (General)