Amidst the chaos and clutter and cacophony of the joyous holiday season, I like to carve out little pockets of quiet. Sure, it’s fun to run around doing stuff and decorating gingerbread houses and baking cookies, but it’s also satisfying just to be quiet sometimes, sit with your family, and simply be present.
Family dinnertime is a natural time for this, and I feel so lucky that work and school schedules allow us to eat together every night. I know not everyone is so lucky!
One of our favorite holiday time dinners is cheese fondue. It’s hard to be Bob Crachit when there’s a big hot tub of melted cheese in the center of the table, and mushrooms, broccoli, apples and bread chunks to dip in.
So this year I’m bowing to the flavor of fondue, but changing up the presentation a bit, and making a sort of Cheese Fondue Casserole – everything in one dish. I’m still serving steamed broccoli and apple slices alongside it. We can’t stray too far from the center, can we?
It calls for a little bit of white wine in the dish (so does a traditional cheese fondue), and I’m using a special limited edition Gallo Family Vineyards Apple & Caramel Holiday White Blend. When you uncork it, the first thing you’ll notice is the burst of fresh apple fragrance! I’ll offer that to the adults to drink with dinner, as well, along with Gallo’s other limited edition seasonal wine — Mixed Berries & Chocolate Holiday Red Blend. This light red would go just as well with the rich mushrooms and cheese. Both wines are available until Dec. 31, and perfect for holiday entertaining since they are easy to like.
Let’s pursue the fondue, without further ado.
This week our #SundaySupper blogger crew is celebrating Memorable Holiday Meals and Traditions, sponsored by Gallo Family Vineyards. They’d love it if you connected with them on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube. I enjoy chatting with them on their social media about wine pairings with my recipes; they’re right there with an answer if you are waffling.
Meanwhile, check out our collection of 20 recipes we have lined up for you today from the Sunday Supper cooks, and our wine suggestions for each of them. I recommend you try my delicious Baked Swiss Cheese Fondue with some Gallo Family Vineyards Apple & Caramel Holiday White Blend, with hints of green apple and sweet caramel. If you’re more a red wine person, you might like Gallo’s Mixed Berries & Chocolate Holiday Red Blend, with hints of mixed berries and chocolate. You can find them in your grocery store (or use their store locator here) and get a $1 off digital coupon here.
If you don’t want faux fondue, choose something else from the menu below that makes you happy during the holidays, and share it with your family and friends.
- Holiday Crab & Shrimp Scramble by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake Donuts by Ruffles & Truffles
- Spiced Apple Monkey Bread with White Wine Caramel by Curious Cuisiniere
- Strawberry Goat Cheese Pastry by Family Foodie
Memorable Main Dishes:
- Baked Swiss Cheese Fondue by Shockingly Delicious
- Curried Turkey Salad by Magnolia Days
- Glazed Ham with Red-eye Gravy by Nik Snacks
- Holiday Braised Short Ribs by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Delightful Desserts and Sweets:
- Berry Chocolate Mocha Mousse Dessert by Flavor Mosaic
- Caramel Apple Turnovers by In The Kitchen With KP
- Chocolate Mousse Cups by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fudgy Chocolate Berry Bundt Cake by Desserts Required
- Italian Wine Doughnut Cookies by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lemon Pound Cake by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Red Wine Chocolate Cookie Cups by Alida’s Kitchen
- Red Wine Chocolate Truffles by Life Tastes Good
- Vanilla Cupcakes with White Wine Caramel Apple Compote by Feed Me, Seymour
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Snowballs by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Join us around the family table for #SundaySupper
- Twitter how-to: Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day on Twitter to see our recipes. To join the conversation anytime, simply use the #SundaySupper hashtag to share your favorite tips and recipes.
- Pinterest: Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more recipes and photos.
- Join: To join the Sunday Supper Movement, sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed here are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.