I can’t believe summer is nearly over, but there it is, Labor Day, looming on the calendar like an exclamation point to the passing season. Summer! Done! Don’t let it hit you in the behind like a slamming door as you move on to the next quarter…
Before we descend into fall though, and break out the sweaters, let’s have one last hurrah for my favorite time of year. Tomatoes hang heavy on the vines, warmed by the late August sun. Peppers, too, dot the bushes like holiday ornaments, and arugula is still sprouting (perhaps bolting a bit!) in the warmth. The basil plants — may I just call them bushes and you’ll understand how enthusiastic they are in the garden? — have taken over, and jalapenos hang like green and red earrings from the branch.
How could I have forgotten to plant cucumbers this year? Good thing they are piled high at the farmers market. A quick trip there satisfies any need or craving I have for fresh fruits and vegetables that I haven’t grown myself.
Join me and my fellow Sunday Supper tastemakers today as we get ready to celebrate a memorable 3-day Labor Day weekend and put a ring on it. Gallo Family Vineyards has invited us to share our recipes, and I have a classic for you, a doozy that is perfect for all the vegetables you’ll find in your garden or at the market right now.
Meet Tuscan Panzanella Salad, if you haven’t shaken hands before. Featuring fresh tomatoes, basil, onions, peppers and whatever other vegetables you like (cukes?), it’s a substantial main-dish salad that you’ll add to your regular summer menu after you try it once.
One of the practicalities of it is stale bread (hurrah for using up leftovers!), added along with vinaigrette, to make it a meal in a bowl. Those Italians…they know what they’re doing.
Its charms are legendary.
This has your name on it.
This week our #SundaySupper tastemakers are celebrating Labor Day, sponsored by Gallo Family Vineyards. We’re pairing our dishes with Gallo wines this week, for a relaxing, fuss-free long weekend.
We’re recommending Gallo’s Sweet White Blend (light bodied peach, tropical fruit and honeydew flavors complement salads and brunch foods; serve chilled) or Café Zinfandel (smooth, sweeter and lighter than a regular Zin, sparkling with strawberry, raspberry and watermelon flavors; serve chilled) with our recipes today. You can find Gallo wines widely available in your grocery store, or use their store locator here.
Meanwhile, check out our collection of 20 recipes we have lined up for you today from the talented Sunday Supper cooks. Try my Tuscan Panzanella Salad, or choose another recipe from the menu below to offer at your party. I have my eye on the Grilled Shrimp Burgers and the Chocolate Lamingtons. Don’t judge my pigginess.
Today’s Sunday Supper recipes
For your Labor Day feast:
- Arugula Fig and Goat Cheese Salad by Family Foodie
- Caprese Fruit Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Salad by The Crumby Cupcake
- Five Fruity Wine Spritzers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Grilled Flank Steak Pinwheels by Palatable Pastime
- Grilled Shrimp Burgers with Quick Remoulade Sauce by The Weekend Gourmet
- Hatch Chile Avocado Cream Dip by Magnolia Days
- Harissa Spiced Chicken Kabobs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Mango Habanero Shrimp Flatbread by Flavor Mosaic
- Peach Barbecue Chicken Wings by Life Tastes Good
- Salmon Bagel Sliders with Strawberry Jalapeno Cream Cheese and Basil Aioli by Food Done Light
- Sunny Side Up Frittata with Ham by Recipe For Perfection
- Tuscan Panzanella Salad by Shockingly Delicious
To sweeten the holiday:
- Blackberry Buckle by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chocolate Strawberry Cream Puff Bites by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Hasty Chocolate Pudding by Nosh My Way
- Raspberry Lamingtons by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Raspberry Upside Down Cake by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Summer Fruit Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Tropical Angel Food Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Vanilla Bean Roasted Peaches by Alida’s Kitchen
Join us around the family table for #SundaySupper
- Twitter how-to: Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day on Twitter to see our recipes. To join the conversation anytime, simply use the #SundaySupper hashtag to share your favorite tips and recipes.
- Pinterest: Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more recipes and photos.
- Join: To join the Sunday Supper Movement, sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed here are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards. Gallo would love it if you connected with them on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube. I enjoy chatting with them on their social media about wine pairings with my recipes; they’re good with an answer if you are waffling on what wine variety goes with what you are serving.