Recipe: Lamb Skillet with Spelt, Spinach, Rosemary and Raisins
Summary: Rich ground lamb studded with sweet fried onions and peppers, raisins, rosemary and chewy spelt makes an easy one-skillet supper.
- ½ cup raisins (or you can use dried cranberries)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, stem and seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh rosemary
- 1 pound ground lamb
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups cooked spelt (I used Bob’s Red Mill brand)
- 2 huge handfuls fresh spinach leaves (7-10 ounces)
- Place raisins in a 2-cup glass measuring cup, cover with water by ½ inch and microwave on high for 55 seconds. Remove from microwave and allow raisins to steep in hot water while you prepare the rest of the recipe. 
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch skillet, add onions and red peppers and sauté for about 10 minutes, until soft and taking on some color. Add rosemary during the last 5 or so minutes. Stir often so mixture doesn’t stick to skillet. 
- To the skillet add lamb, salt and allspice and cook, breaking up the lamb with a wooden spoon. It will take 5-10 minutes to completely cook the lamb so it is no longer pink. (Do not add more oil, because the lamb will release fat.) 
- Drain raisins well and discard water, then add them, along with spelt, to the meat mixture. Mix well. 
- When ready to serve, add spinach (it will look like too much, but don’t worry) and cook and stir for a minute or so, just to slightly wilt the greens. You don’t want or need the spinach completely wilted into oblivion.
- Spoon into 4 shallow, wide bowls and serve.
- Serves 4.
Recipe and photos by Dorothy Reinhold | Shockingly Delicious
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Throughout the week, you can find the #SundaySupper food blogger team also sharing #WeekdaySupper meals. Getting families back to the dinner table is our mission, and I hope we inspire you to try some of our delicious recipes. You can find them on our Pinterest Boards , too. Please join us there and try something!
- Monday – Supper For A Steal – Thai Green Curry Turkey Meatballs 
- Tuesday – Momma’s Meals – Creamy Tomato Pasta & Sausage 
- Wednesday – Shockingly Delicious – Lamb Skillet with Spelt, Spinach, Rosemary and Raisins 
- Thursday – The Dinner-Mom – Sesame Beef Strips 
- Friday – Curious Cuisiniere – Sweet Potato White Bean Chili (Crock Pot) 
Disclosure: Bob’s Red Mill sent the spelt for recipe development.