Rich Chocolate Shortbread Cookies have a secret — olive oil + butter! — and a super-satisfying crunch from coarse sugar on top. This is the grown-up cookie you want.
This post is sponsored by Divine Chocolate, which provided product samples for recipe development. All opinions are my own.
I’m on a bit of a shortbread kick….well, probably for my whole life, but who is counting? It’s just such an easy cookie to make, with a big flavor payoff. Flour, sugar, butter….that’s basically it. I often add an extract or some other flavoring, because I like to tweak recipes like that, but it’s basically a simple recipe.
This Chocolate Shortbread version is enriched with high-quality cocoa, and has a mixture of butter and light-flavored olive oil, for the best of both worlds. I’m a big fan of baking with olive oil. I keep two kinds in the pantry — an extra-light flavored version to bake with, and a full-bodied version for the skillet.
How to make Chocolate Shortbread
It’s easy! Flour, sugar, some kind of fat…shortbread is a breeze.
- Assemble your ingredients, as with any recipe. This is a good practice to get into.
- Mix up the dough. I do it with an electric mixer (I’m lazy that way), but you could do it by hand of course.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, then pat or roll out and poke with a fork.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar crystals.
- Lay it on!
- Baked and out of the oven.
- Cut while warm. I used the edge of a spatula to cut them so I don’t slice my silicone baking mat.
About the cocoa
I used cocoa from Divine Chocolate , one of the sponsors of #Choctoberfest. Divine Chocolate’s baking line is
- Vegan Society-certified
- 100% pure cocoa butter
- without soy or palm oil
- the only Fairtrade chocolate company in the world that is co-owned by cocoa farmers — a cooperative in Ghana co-owns the company, and gets the largest shares of the business.
- I feel good about using their chocolate in my baking, and it is 100% shockinglydelicious! The cocoa smells rich and deeply chocolaty, and their chocolate baking bars have a rich consistency and utterly delicious flavor. I’m sold.
Let’s make Chocolate Shortbread Cookies!
Pin the image below to your Pinterest board to save it.