Recipe: Red Fruit and Vegetable Breakfast Smoothie
Summary: Naturally sweetened and colored by banana, strawberries and beet, this “red things” smoothie makes a satisfying breakfast.
- 1/2 a ripe banana
- 5 big strawberries (we are spoiled by the abundance of California strawberries!)
- 1 Melissa’s Produce Organic Baby Beet (already steamed and ready to use; beets are naturally sweet)
- 1/4 cup orange juice (I juiced an orange off the backyard tree) [*see variation below]
- 5 ice cubes
- 1/8 teaspoon (tiny splash) vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients to the Magic Bullet (or blender) and whirl for a minute or so until well combined, thick and smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy.
- Fancy food blogger straw is optional!
- Serves 1.
Instead of orange juice, add a half slice of watermelon, cut into chunks. It will add sweetness and liquid to the drink, just like the orange juice does.
Other smoothies on the site
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Diet type: Vegan, vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 1
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Disclosure: Melissa’s Produce sent the beets for recipe testing.