Succulents are so weird and wild and wonderful, you can set your creativity free when you propagate them. You can also fly your freak flag when you find unusual planters for them. Here are 2 videos that show you how to plant them in odd containers.
I encourage you, instead of buying fancy and expensive pots, to take a look around your house and garage and find some fun containers.
Such as a wiener dog planter.
Or an oversize coffee cup that makes a darling succulent planter.
Like a basket that arrived with wine and fancy foods, but has found a new home outside with succulents in it.
If you do want to buy something, try a thrift store or an off-price store (TJ Maxx and Ross are favorites of mine). They have some interesting stuff, often on super sale, that you can re-purpose as a succulent planter, such as a wire bird cage like the one above! This thing looks so pretty when it is complete.
Then go and get some succulent cuttings from the yard.
And then go to town planting them!
Succulent School Video, part 1 (14 minutes)
Denise Vivaldo, Cindie Flannigan and I talk about…
- using leftover baskets
- mimicking the colors in your planting container with the succulents you choose
- finding fun containers at off-price stores (bird cage, fanciful dog planter)
- finding containers in the back of the cabinet (40-year-old wooden salad bowl, old basket)
- the resilience of succulents.
Succulent School Video, part 2 (12 minutes)
We talk about and show our handiwork…
- our completed containers (the bird cage is GORGEOUS!)
- We finish the 40-year-old wooden salad bowl on camera
- Hen and chicks need to be cleaned up
Here’s a related post about succulents. I show you how to make a Succulent Heart for Valentine’s Day!
See the Succulent Heart .
If you have any questions about succulents, or want to show off your own succulent garden or planter, put them in the comments below or send to me at Dorothy@shockinglydelicious.com! I would love to hear from you!