Recipe: Chicken, Brie and Apple Turnovers
Summary: Autumn-inspired flavors of chicken, apples, fresh sage and Brie are enclosed in buttery puff pastry, perfect for tailgating, lunchbox or even an elegant dinner.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (30 mL)
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage (15 mL)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (0.5 mL)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (15 mL)
- 3⁄4 cup apple cider (175 mL)
- 1 tablespoon brandy, optional (15 mL)
- 2 cups shredded roasted chicken breast (500 mL)
- 1 pound store-bought puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon (15 mL) water
- 8 ounces soft Brie, sliced (250 g)
- Filling: In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add shallot and apple; sauté until softened, 4-5 minutes. Stir in sage and nutmeg; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle flour over mixture, stirring to coat. Add cider, reduce heat and simmer until thickened. Stir in brandy, if using. Stir in chicken and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Divide puff pastry in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half into a 15- by 10-inch (37.5 by 25 cm) rectangle. Using pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut rectangle into six 5-inch (12.5 cm) squares. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Brush edges of squares with egg wash. Place about 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) chicken mixture in center of each square. Top with 1 slice Brie. Fold squares in half diagonally, enclosing filling. Pinch together edges to seal, and crimp with the tines of a fork. Brush tops with egg wash.
- Place pies, on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets, in freezer for 30 minutes, until firm. Meanwhile, position oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and heat oven to 375F degrees (190C).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, switching positions of baking sheets halfway through, until puffed and deep golden brown. Let pies cool on sheets on wire racks for 5 minutes before serving.
- Makes 12 turnovers
The white rind of Brie is edible and is usually eaten along with the soft interior. If you don’t wish to include the rind, you may trim and discard it before layering the cheese on the chicken filling.
See this page  for all the wonderful #SundaySupper dishes I have made since I joined this group, and links to all the other delicious dishes made by my fellow cooks.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: USA (Nouveau)
This week our #SundaySupper crew is tailgating! Check out the variety of things we have cooked up for you! Try these chicken turnovers or find something else from the menu below that floats your boat:
Warm Ups (Appetizers):
- Bacon and Onion Dip  by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Fajita Dip and Quesadillas  by Chocolate Moosey
- Crab Rangoons  by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Double Cheese Dill Scones  by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Fried Yucca With Pink Sauce  by Basic N Delicious
- Grilled Corn Dip  by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Grilled Gameday Nachos  by Supper for a Steal
- Homemade Potato Chips w/ Blue Cheese Sauce  by girlichef
- Liptauer Cheese Spread  by Magnolia Days
- Mahogany Baked Chicken Wings  by The Dinner-Mom
- Mexican Corn Dip  by Growing Up Gabel
- Pizza Dip  by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Posh Pigs In a Blanket by The Weekend Gourmet
- Pretzel Nuggets  by I Run For Wine
- Roasted Garlic & Tomatillo Salsa Verde  by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Savory Baked Pinwheel’s  by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Sesame Glazed Cauliflower “Wings”  by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Stuffed Banana Pepper Bites  by Daily Dish Recipes
- Sweet Potato Hummus  by Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Skins  by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- VJ Catch-erole by My Other City By The Bay
Game Time (Main Dishes and Sides):
- 1,2,3,4,5 Chinese Spareribs  by The Urban Mrs
- Bacon Burger Sliders  by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Beef on Weck  by Healthy. Delicious.
- Carrot Slaw by The Foodie Army Wife
- Cheerwine BBQ Pulled Pork  by Nik Snacks
- Chicken, Bacon, Ranch Quesadillas  by Cookin’ Mimi
- Chicken, Brie and Apple Turnovers by Shockingly Delicious
- Easy Grilled Chicken Caesar Sandwiches  by Momma’s Meals
- French Onion Chicken Sandwiches by Foxes Love Lemons
- Frito Olé  by Home Cooking Memories
- Gomoku Treasure Rice  by NinjaBaking.com
- Grilled Fajita Kebabs  by CuriousCuisiniere
- Hatch Chile Pimento Cheese Burgers  by Juanita’s Cocina
- Italian Tuna and Shells Salad  by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pressed Brick Sandwich  by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pulled Lamb Barbecue Sandwiches  by The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Soup  by Neighborfood
- Smoky Turkey Burgers  by Webicurean
- Snorker and Spicy Slaw Sandwiches  by Food Lust People Love
- Tandoori BBQ Chicken  by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Tortilla Hot Dogs  by La Cocina de Leslie
Overtime (Drinks and Desserts):
- Coconut Funfetti Ice Cream Cake  by What Smells So Good?
- Funfetti Sugar Cookies  by Pies and Plots
- Individual Elvis Pies  by Treats & Trinkets
- Portuguese Sangria  by Family Foodie
Come celebrate tailgating with the Sunday Supper team! We would love to have you join our live #SundaySupper  Twitter chat starting today at 7 p.m. EST.
- Twitter how-to: Follow the #SundaySupper  hashtag throughout the day to see the amazing recipes. We look forward to seeing you. To join in, simply use the #SundaySupper  hashtag to share your favorite tips and recipes.
- Pinterest: Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board  for more delicious recipes and photos.
- Join: It’s easy to join the Sunday Supper Movement. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement .