Say what? Meat loaf cupcakes?
Not to worry; we aren’t spreading frosting on meat. We’re simply using a cupcake baking pan to create the perfectly sized individual meat loaves. Eat one, eat two – whatever your appetite requires.
These are chock full of vegetables, and flavored with a brilliant condiment called Not Ketchup. We first met Not Ketchup , a fruit-based condiment (with no tomatoes, hence, “Not Ketchup”) last January, and have been using it on burgers, as a dipper for oven-fries, spread on bread for sandwiches, and to grill chicken.
Sometimes when I am standing at the sink eating a hard cooked egg, I pour a little Not Ketchup on it to jazz it up. (Please reassure me I am not the only person who stands at the sink eating a hard cooked egg!)
 Not Ketchup  comes in four flavors (featuring blueberry, cherry, date, fig). I used the Cherry Chipotle, my absolute favorite, for this recipe. You won’t go back to your regular ketchup or barbecue sauce, I promise.
Cherry Chipotle Meat Loaf Cupcakes
Savory individual meat loaves chock full of vegetables are baked in a cupcake tin to make perfect portions.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 carrots, peeled, trimmed, finely chopped
- 1-2 celery stalks, trimmed, finely chopped
- 1 (5-ounce) package sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 3 mini sweet bell peppers, stemmed, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- A few grinds black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Gourmet Garden Chunky Garlic Paste (or 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced)
- 1 pound organic ground grass-fed beef
- 2/3-3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup Cherry Chipotle Not Ketchup 
- 1/2-2/3 cup minced Italian parsley
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Make vegetable mixture: Heat oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms, peppers, oregano, thyme, basil, salt and pepper and sauté until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté another minute or so. Turn heat off and remove pan from burner; set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Make meat loaf cupcakes: In a large mixing bowl, combine vegetable mixture, beef, bread crumbs, Dijon, egg, Not Ketchup, and parsley. Use hands to stir, or a wooden spoon, or do as I do and mix using a KitchenAid Mixer on low speed for 15-30 seconds.
- Lightly oil 12 muffin tins. Divide meat loaf mixture among 12 muffin cups. Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through. Remove pan from oven and cool for a couple of minutes.
- Serve extra Not Ketchup at the table if you like, so people can put another dollop on top if they want.
- Makes 12. Serve 1 or 2 meat loaf cupcakes per person, depending on appetites.
Vegetable note: You know those cut-up vegetable appetizer trays from the grocery store that have baby carrots, celery sticks, mini peppers, etc.? This is a great recipe to use up the leftovers after a party.
Recipe source: Adapted from Jeanette’s Healthy Living , who adapted it from Cooking Light 
Copyright Dorothy Reinhold | ShockinglyDelicious.com. All rights reserved.