Recipe: Baked Endive and Pears in Blue Cream Sauce
Summary: Sweet pears and slightly bitter endive bathe in a light blue cheese cream sauce in this elegant, rich side dish.
- ½ cup (120 ml) heavy cream
- 3 ounces (85 g) creamy blue cheese, such as Point Reyes Original Blue
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 endives, halved from stem to tip
- 2 large pears, peeled, cored, halved and cut into thin slices or wedges
- Heat the oven to 425F (220C/gas 7). Butter a baking dish (about 10- by 10-inch; any medium baking dish should work).
- Make the sauce: Pour cream into a saucepan and turn heat to medium. With your fingers, break apart the blue cheese into the cream. Heat, stirring, just until hot (it’s OK if the chunks of blue don’t entirely smooth out). Take the pan off the heat, stir in 1 tablespoon of the chopped chives, and season with pepper. Set aside.
- In the baking dish, arrange the endive, cut-side-up, alternative stem end and tip. Arrange the pears between each endive half. If you have more endive than can fit in one layer, top with the remaining endive halves, cut-side down. Pour on the cream sauce. The endive should not be submerged. 
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes, and then remove foil. Continue baking until the cream sauce has reduced slightly and the tops of the endive are browned, another 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let the dish cool for at least 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle remaining tablespoon of chopped chives over top, and then spoon up and enjoy while still warm. This is also very good cold the next day.
- Serves 4-6.
Recipe from “Cowgirl Creamery Cooks,” by Sue Conley and Peggy Smith (2013; Chronicle Books; $35).
See this page  for all the wonderful #SundaySupper dishes I have made since I joined this group, and links to all the other delicious dishes made by my fellow cooks.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 4-6
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Today’s Sunday Supper recipes
This week our #SundaySupper blogger crew is celebrating Fat Sunday, hosted by Leslie of La Cocina de Leslie . Take a look at our tempting feast!
Cocktails & Other Beverages:
- The Hurricane Cocktail Recipe  from An Appealing Plan
- The French 75  from Kimchi MOM
- Mardi Gras Long Johns  from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie  from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fried Oysters and Remoulade  from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Shrimp in Mustard Sauce  from Noshing With The Nolands
- Sweet Potato Pie Appetizer  from MealDiva
- Cajun Crab and Corn Beignets  from Delaware Girl Eats
- Pancetta and Mushroom Arancini  from Ruffles & Truffles
- Creole Shrimp Po Boy Recipe  from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo  from Supper for a Steal
- Jambalaya  from Yours And Mind Are Ours
- Vegan Pizza Waffles  from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Red Beans and Rice  from Cookin’ Mimi
- Baked Catfish Po’Boy  from Curious Cuisiniere
- Muffuletta  from Casa de Crews
- Bayou Seafood and Andouille Jambalaya  from The Weekend Gourmet
- Seafood Gumbo  from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Tarte a L’oignon  from The Hand That Rocks The Ladle
- Cajun Rice & Beans  from Momma’s Meals
- Creole Celery Root Bisque (with Lobster)  from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Louisiana Roasted Barbecue Shrimp  from Food Lust People Love
- Cajun Dirty Rice Bowls  from The Dinner-Mom
- New Orleans Fried Chicken  from Family Foodie
- Baked Endive and Pears in Blue Cream Sauce  from Shockingly Delicious
- Okra Creole  from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Banana Creme Pie with Honey Whipped Cream and Pecan Brittle  from The Foodie Patootie
- Chocolate Ganache Tart  from Melanie Makes
- Banana Bread Pudding with Bourbon Caramel  from Gotta Get Baked
- Delicious Baked Beignets  from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- New Orleans Bread Pudding with Caramel and Bourbon Sauce  from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Paczki  from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Beignets  from The Messy Baker
- Eggless Bread Pudding in a Jar  from What Smells So Good?
- Mint Julep Bars  from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mardi Gras Cupcakes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sinful Mexican Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls  from La Cocina de Leslie
- Fasnetküchle  from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Cheesecake Swirl Brownies  from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Browned Butter Bacon-Chocolate Chip Cookies  from Urban Bakes
- Pecan and Chocolate Pralines  from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Raspberry Cake  from Clarks Condensed
- Baked Coconut Beignets  from Mess Makes Food
- Bomboloni alla Crema  from Manu’s Menu
- Strawberry Paczki  from Neighborfood
- Blackberry Fritters from girlichef
- Brownie Chocolate Chip Cheesecake  from Magnolia Days
- Flourless Chocolate Cake in a Mug  from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pecan Bars from Pies and Plots
- “Skinny Tuesday” Bananas Foster Cheesecake Parfaits  from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mocha Pear Cake  from Happy Baking Days
- Skinny Baked Beignets  from Daily Dish Recipes
Join us around the family table for #SundaySupper
- Twitter how-to: Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day on Twitter to see our recipes. To join the conversation anytime, simply use the #SundaySupper hashtag to share your favorite tips and recipes.
- Pinterest: Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board  for more recipes and photos.
- Join: To join the Sunday Supper Movement, sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement .
Disclosure: California Endive Farms  sent the endive for recipe testing.