Recipe: Almond Polenta Cake
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature, + 1 tablespoon for greasing the pan (I used Kerrygold unsalted butter)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons polenta, fine to medium grind (or cornmeal) + 2 teaspoons for dusting pan
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, not packed
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 3 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
- Topping: 1 heaping tablespoon coarse sugar crystals
- Topping: ¼ cup slivered, dry toasted almonds
- Heat the oven to 375F degrees. Use 1 tablespoon butter to grease a 9-inch removable-bottom tart pan; dust with 2 teaspoons cornmeal.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar until light in color and fluffy, 1 ½-2 minutes. Scrape the bowl and add the eggs and egg yolks, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Mix in almond extract, vanilla, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in flour and remaining corn meal until combined.
- Using an offset spatula, spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the coarse sugar and slivered almonds evenly on top.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes. Remove from the oven and set on a rack to cool. When cool, remove outer ring and place cake on a serving plate.
- Serves 12.
Adapted from a recipe by pastry chef Kimberly Sklar of Literati II, a Los Angeles restaurant, and printed in the Los Angeles Times . At the restaurant, Sklar served her cake with almond and cherry swirl ice cream.
Add some grated orange zest or tangerine zest to the cake for a deepened flavor component.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: Italian
Today our #SundaySupper cooks are making Cheese, Cakes and Cheesecakes, with some fantastic recipes you’ll want to try. Browse below to see what you might put on your menu this week.
- Garlic and Goat by Supper for a Steal 
- Quick and Easy Homemade Cottage Cheese by The Meltaways 
- Homemade Velveeta Cheese by Juanitas Cocina 
- Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Parmesan Crisps by BigBearsWife 
- Irish Cheese Soufflés by girlichef 
- Paneer Tikka Masala by Kimchi Mom 
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta with Homemade Ricotta and Broccoli by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen 
- Ricotta Croquettes by Basic N Delicious 
- Cheeseburger Soup by Dinners Dishes and Desserts 
- Cherry Blossom Crescents by The Ninja Baker 
- Saag Paneer! Golden Roasted Ricotta In Savory Spinach Sauce by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz 
- Sourdough Cheese Crackers by Curious Cuisiniere 
- Basil Balsamic Strawberries & Whipped Feta Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips 
- Lox and Cream Cheese Mini Omelettes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings 
- Buffalo Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken by In The Kitchen With KP 
- Baked Mozzarella Sticks by Mama’s Blissful Bites 
- Paneer Indian Cottage Cheese Pancake by Masala Herb 
- Crepes with Strawberry Mascarpone Cream Filling by Soni’s Food 
- Roasted Pears with Pecorino by Happy Baking Days 
- Pan-Fried Halloumi Cheese Salad by The Catholic Foodie 
- Chevre Torte with Mango and Sweet Pepper Salsa by Noshing with the Nolands 
- Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks 
- Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cake by Gourmet Drizzles 
- Dairyfree Ice Cream Cake by Galactosemia in PDX 
- KitKat Chocolate Cake by The Urban Mrs. 
- Old Fashioned Caramel Cake by There and Back Again 
- Peanut Butter Banana Bundt Cake with Chocolate Chips by Gotta Get Baked 
- Flourless Chocolate Bean Cake by Vintage Kitchen 
- Dense Chocolate Cherry Cake by What Smells So Good? 
- Tequila Lime Cupcakes by Mama Mommy Mom 
- Almond Polenta Cake by Shockingly Delicious 
- Salmon Cakes by Family Foodie 
- Banana Split Bundt Cake with Chocolate Glaze by NeighborFood 
- Kit Kat Cheesecake Brownies by Chocolate Moosey 
- Reese’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Bundt Cake by Daily Dish Recipes 
- Nutella Cheesecake Brownies by The Foodie Army Wife 
- Individual Strawberry and White Chocolate Cheesecakes by Small Wallet Big Appetite 
- Grasshopper Cheesecake Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake 
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cheesecake by Magnolia Days 
- Mini Toddler Cherry Cheesecakes by In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene 
- Mocha Cheesecake by The Lovely Pantry 
- Lime Cheesecake Bites by Peanut Butter and Peppers 
- No-Bake Banana Sundae Cheesecake by The Messy Baker 
- Mini Raspberry Cheesecakes with White Chocolate Crusts by Cupcakes and Pearls 
- Savory Shrimp Cheesecake with Herbs and Garlic by Food Lust People Love 
- Cheesecake au Baileys by Baker Street 
- Tiny Turtle Cheesecakes (No Bake) by Cravings of a Lunatic 
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Mini Cheesecakes by Cookistry 
- Chocolate Cheesecake Bites by Mom, What’s For Dinner? 
Follow the #SundaySupper  hash tag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board  for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Join us around the family table this Sunday at 7 p.m. Eastern Time and share your favorite Cheese, Cake and Cheesecake Recipes with us!