Recipe: Black-Eyed Pea Cowboy Caviar
Summary: A rustic, chunky, Western-style bean and vegetable dip that takes full advantage of the hearty flavor of black-eyed peas.
- 1 (11-ounce) container Frieda’s Blackeyed Peas
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel sweet corn (no salt added version preferred), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, minced
- 3 green onions (scallions), minced, using both white and green parts
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and cut into small dice
- 6 ounces cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar or lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon mild Hatch chile powder
- A few grinds of black pepper
- 1 bag tortilla chips (lime flavor preferred!)
- In a small pot, add peas and cover with water by 1 inch. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, until tender (taste one to determine). Drain and cool.
- Make salad: In a large bowl, add cooled peas, corn, cilantro, green onions, avocado and tomatoes. Stir gently to combine.
- Make dressing: Mix ingredients in small jar and shake well to combine. Pour over salad and stir gently to coat ingredients. Do not mash or overstir or you will break up the avocados and peas.
- Serve with tortilla chips as dippers.
- Serve alongside a jar of Tabasco, Sriracha or another hot sauce, so those who like things hotsy totsy can spice up their own!
- Serves 8.
Like many good recipes, this one was handed over the virtual back fence. I adapted it from a recipe sent to me by my friend Karen Farrer, who saw me making black-eyed pea quesadillas  on Facebook  for New Year’s. She quickly recommended and then sent over this recipe, which she said she got from “amazing cook Colleen O’Beirne Brydon,” who happens to be my actual neighbor! It’s a small world, and with good cooks like these in it, getting smaller and more delicious every day.
See this page  for all the wonderful #SundaySupper dishes I have made since I joined this group, and links to all the other delicious dishes made by my fellow cooks.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian, vegan
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (Southwestern)
This week our #SundaySupper blogger crew is celebrating tapas, hosted by Conni of The Foodie Army Wife . Check out the variety of things we have cooked up for you! Try this healthy Cowboy Caviar or find something else from the menu below that rings your chimes:
Here’s What’s on the Table:
- Stuffed Green Queen Olives with Garlic Infused Olive Oil  from MarocMama
- Cheesy, Tortellini Tapas & Spicy Bacon Ranch Dip  from Daily Dish Recipes
- Black-Eyed Pea Cowboy Caviar  from Shockingly Delicious
- Goan Beef Croquettes  from Masala Herb
- Giardiniera Salad  from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Bacon Wrapped Calamari  from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Patatas Bravas  from Supper for a Steal
- Caramelized Onion & Gruyere Bites  from The Foodie Army Wife
- Agave Truffles  from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Pear, Brie, and Honey Crostini  from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Tomato Bread  from girlichef
- Clams in Green Sauce (Almejas en Salsa Verde)  from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Roasted Tomato-Basil Flatbread  from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Herb and Citrus Marinated Olives  from Magnolia Days
- Smoky Paprika Peppers  from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Balsamic Raspberries with Mascarpone Cream  from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gambas al Ajillo  from Manu’s Menu
- Squid in Garlic Chili Olive Oil  from Food Lust People Love
- Tortilla Española  from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Croquetas de Pollo  from Cookin’ Mimi
- Low-Carb Salmon Croquettes  from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Bruschetta Topping  from What Smells So Good?
- Herb Roasted Almonds  from Curious Cuisiniere
- Artichoke Heart and Manchego Spread on Fried Garlic Bread  from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Tortillita de Camarones  from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Patatas A La Riojana (Rioja-Style Potato & Chorizo Stew)  from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Gambas al Ajillo y Clementina (Shrimp with Garlic and Clementines)  from FoodieTots
- Tortillas De Papa y Atun (Tuna and Potatoes Tortilla)  from Basic N Delicious
- Pocky Cake Pops  from NinjaBaking.com
- Chorizo Filled Dates Wrapped in Bacon  from I Run For Wine
- Manchego-Stuffed Spanish Meatballs  from The Weekend Gourmet
- Roast Onions with Blue Cheese and Pine Nuts  from Healthy. Delicious.
- Shrimp and Chorizo Tapas  from The Texan New Yorker
- Blueberry and Lemon Yogurt Quesada  from In The Kitchen With KP
- Chorizo with Spicy Sweet Potato Tapas  from Soni’s Food
- Chorizo and Manchego Toast Tapas  from Family Foodie
- Roasted Bone Marrow with Citrus Salad  from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mushroom Chevre Crostini  from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Serrano Ham and Manchego Croquetas with Smoked Pimenton Aioli  from My Other City By The Bay
- Krab Filled Avocado Tapas  from from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Polenta Crostini Bites with Caramelized Mushrooms: Cicchetti – A Venetian Tapas Tradition  from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Wine recommendations: Best Wines To Pair With Tapas  from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join us around the family table for #SundaySupper
- Twitter how-to: Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day on Twitter to see our recipes. To join the conversation anytime, simply use the #SundaySupper hashtag to share your favorite tips and recipes.
- Pinterest: Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board  for more recipes and photos.
- Join: To join the Sunday Supper Movement, sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement .
Disclosure: Frieda’s Specialty Produce sent the black-eyed peas.