Recipe: Vanilla-Infused Olive Oil
Summary: A vanilla bean infuses and perfumes super-premium extra-virgin olive oil to make a life-changing elixir.
- 1 vanila bean (I used a Heilala vanilla bean , but use what you can find)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Slice the vanilla bean open lengthwise and scrape the seeds into a small jar. Cut the vanilla bean into 1/2-inch pieces, add them to the jar, and add the olive oil.
- Put the lid on the jar, shake it vigorously and set it aside at room temperature to infuse for a day or two.
- The oil will be ready the next day, but continues to improve as it sits on your shelf. When you use the oil, be sure to get some vanilla seeds, but leave the tough bean pieces behind in the jar. (I replenish the oil and keep the jar going for awhile.)
How to use Vanilla-Infused Olive Oil?
- strawberries or a fruit salad
- diced avocado
- a freshly grilled steak
- shrimp quickly cooked in a skillet
- caprese salad
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Diet type: Vegan, vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (Nouveau)