Recipe: Ten-Minute Chickpea Salad with Feta and Basil
Summary: Made easily with a few pantry ingredients and a new fresh things, this tasty vegetarian salad can be quickly assembled for a fast weeknight meal.
- 3 (15-ounce) cans organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Three-quarters of a red onion, finely diced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
- 1 jar roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped (I used a 15.5-ounce jar of Melissa’s Fire Roasted Sweet Red Bell Peppers ; msrp $4.99)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (I used Meyer lemon juice)
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces feta, crumbled
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves, torn
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large salad bowl, combine the chickpeas, onion, cucumber, roasted peppers, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. Toss well to combine. Add feta and basil and toss again to combine.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Depending on how salty your feta is, you might not need any salt.
- Serve right way, or refrigerate for up to a few hours.
- Serves 4-5 as an entrée, or more as a side dish.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 4-5
Culinary tradition: Italian