Recipe: Spiced Zucchini Bread
Summary: A perfectly spiced loaf of zucchini bread will help you use your summer glut of zucchini, and make a wonderful snack or breakfast treat.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax (I added this for extra nutrition)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I used Penzeys Vietnamese Cinnamon, a very strong version)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar (I used 7/8 cup sugar)
- 1 cup finely shredded, unpeeled zucchini (I did not squeeze it dry after shredding)
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel (I used 1 teaspoon out of personal preference)
- 1/2 cup shopped walnuts or pecans (Omitted at the request of my son)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of an 8- by 4-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, flax, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; set aside. In another medium mixing bowl combine sugar, shredded zucchini, cooking oil, egg and lemon peel; mix well. Add dry mixture to zucchini mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in walnuts or pecans, if using.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and cool completely on the wire rack. Wrap and store overnight.
- Makes 1 loaf; 12 servings.
Recipe from home cook Corinne Le. My slight tweaks are in blue and parentheses.
Apple Bread Variation: Prepare as above, except substitute 1 cup finely shredded, peeled apple for the shredded zucchini. Continue as directed.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 10-12
Culinary tradition: USA (General)