Spiced Fresh Peach Chutney
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper (or orange or yellow bell pepper, but they won’t show as much since peaches are also orange)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 small Jalapeno pepper, finely minced (remove seeds if you are a wimp)
- 1/3 cup white raisins
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh peaches, pitted, peeled and chopped
In a medium saucepan, bring the vinegar and both sugars to a boil. Add pepper, onion, Jalapeno, raisins, garlic, ginger, salt and allspice and simmer over low heat 10 minutes, uncovered.
Add peaches and simmer 5 more minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally. With a potato masher, mash 1/3-1/2 of the peaches in the saucepan to thicken slightly (this is about 5-7 mashes; then stop!). Remove from heat and cool.
Store in airtight jars or covered containers in refrigerator. Will keep for up to 3-4 weeks.
Freeze: Portion into small jars and freeze, to give away as Christmas presents to only the most deserving friends.
- roasted chicken
- pork chops
- baked ham
- grilled sausages
- over a block of cream cheese for an appetizer
- plain yogurt for breakfast or lunch
- cottage cheese for breakfast or lunch
- vanilla ice cream for dessert?
Source: Adapted from Janie/Jcz04 at the Taste of Home community bulletin board.