Recipe: Speed Scratch Hatch Chile Cornbread
Summary: Lightly sweet, a hint of Hatch chile and a fine crumb make this perfect for dinner or even for breakfast with eggs.
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 Hatch chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 (8.5-ounce) box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- Heat oven to 400F degrees. Spray a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a 4-cup measure, add milk. Add egg and whisk well with a fork to combine. Stir in chiles. Stir in corn muffin mix, just until moist. Do not overmix. Allow to rest undisturbed for 4 minutes for maximum crown.
- Restir slightly and scrape into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool for a couple of minutes, and serve warm.
- Serves 4.
Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix looks like this:
If you are super lucky, you can find it on sale 3 for $1. Or 2 for $1. To me, it is the perfect blend of corny and a bit of sweet.
Preparation time: 8 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (Southwestern)
Melissa’s Produce  sent the Hatch chiles for recipe development.