Recipe: Smoked Salmon with Caramelized Onion Quiche
- Pastry shell fitted into a 10-inch deep dish pie plate
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium to large white onions, finely chopped
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 6 ounces hot-smoked salmon, flaked
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives, divided use
Heat the oven to 350 degrees and fit pastry shell into pie plate. Set aside.
Heat olive oil in a 12-inch skillet, and caramelize the onions by cooking them, salt and sugar on low-medium heat until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes, adding the garlic into the pan about 5 minutes before the onions are done. Spread the onion mixture and the flaked salmon over the bottom of the unbaked pie shell.
Beat the eggs in a bowl with the cream until blended. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the onions and salmon, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon chives, and bake until puffed and browned, about 40-45 minutes. Allow to stand for 10 minutes, and then cut into slices. Sprinkle each slice with additional chives and serve.