Sausages with Grapes and Balsamic Onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 links sweet Italian sausage, pricked with a fork (can use Italian turkey sausage)
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 apple, cored and chopped, skin on
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 40 seedless red grapes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large (12-inch) sauté pan or skillet over medium heat until it’s shimmering. Add the sausages and cook, turning every couple minutes, until they’re browned all over, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a large plate.
Add the onion and apple to the pan, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens completely and starts to turn light brown, about 7 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar, wine and water, and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to incorporate any browned bits.
Reduce to a gentle simmer (medium-low or low depending on your stovetop). Add the sausages and accumulated juices and grapes, cover the pot with the lid, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausages are cooked through, about 25 minutes. During the cooking time, add another 1/4 cup water if it is drying out.
Serve immediately, sprinkled with the oregano.
- Mashed potatoes or polenta or crusty bread
- Green salad or steamed broccoli
Source: Adapted from Fine Cooking magazine .