Recipe: Real Dinner for Real People (Fruits, Veggies, Beans, Cheese)
An informal, one-bowl, easy weeknight dinner featuring the ripest fruits and vegetables, making it easy on the cook and fun for the diners.
- 2 ripe peaches, pitted and skinned
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and skinned
- Cherry tomatoes (some are so ripe they split! — I consider that charming. And you might see a bug hole. Oops…no big deal.)
- 1 (15- to 19-ounce) can or jar cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Cantaloupe chunks
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella in water, drained (could use the small balls if you don’t want a large ball)
- Tapenade, either jarred or my wonderful homemade version 
- Slice and arrange everything as you like on a plate or a bowl. Be fussy and fancy or be practical and quick — your choice.
- Finish with a dollop of tapenade on the beans.
- As you eat the beans, grab a bit of the tapenade along with some beans. Yum!
- Serves 4. Increase ingredient amounts to suit your family number and appetites.
I bought fancy (expensive!) cannellini beans in a jar from the Italian market. You may use something like that, or standard grocery store brands. Keep in mind that with a simple preparation like this, the better ingredients really stand out. And if your fruit and veggies are not ripe, don’t present them this way. Ripe ripe ripe!
Substitute your favorite or ripest fruits and veggies here to make this your own personalized version.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 4