Recipe: Cacao Luxe Perfect Fudge
Summary: Rich, decadent, creamy fudge, easy to make at home and wonderful for Valentine’s Day or any day you need chocolate. No need for a candy thermometer!
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 18 ounces chocolate (buy the best chocolate you can find — this should be a pure chocolate* see note below)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment or foil and set aside.
- Heat sweetened condensed milk, butter and salt on medium low in a 2-quart sauce pan.
- In a separate container, pre-melt the chocolate in the microwave until it is totally melted and stirred – no lumps. Be careful to not overheat the chocolate in the microwave — use 30-second intervals and stir at every break. When the sweetened condensed milk is warm and has loosened up, pour all of the chocolate into the sauce pan with the milk. Stir with a wooden spoon. The mixture will be thick as the chocolate incorporates and then it will get glossy. When your mixture turns glossy, add vanilla and stir quickly. Remove from heat and pour IMMEDIATELY into the prepared pan. Cool for several hours in the refrigerator before cutting into small squares. Fudge is best kept in an airtight container and eaten within 4-5 days.
- This recipe can be doubled and put in a 9- by 13-inch pan.
*A note about chocolate
Buy a high-quality chocolate at a retailer like Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s. Chocolate chips or the chocolate sold for dipping fruit are not good choices as they have stabilizers in them which makes for a stiffer fudge.
Maureen McKee of Cacao Luxe 
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 30
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)