Recipe: Orange Supreme Salad
Summary: Light, lovely and fresh, this simple salad relies on a delicate orange dressing and contrasting flavors.
- Spring mix lettuce
- Baby arugula
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 large navel oranges
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- Tomato slices
- Avocado slices
- Clean and thoroughly dry the lettuce and arugula and toss with chopped basil in a big salad bowl.
- Supreme the oranges: Slice the top and bottom of the oranges off so you can clearly see the spoke pattern of the segments inside. Moving your knife in the same direction as the segments, complete the peeling of the orange. While holding the orange over a bowl to catch the juices, remove each segment with any of the pith attached. Squeeze the remaining orange pith to extract as much juice as you can into the bowl. Move the supremes or segments into another bowl, leaving the juice to continue making the dressing.
- Whisk in the olive oil, sesame oil, sugar, seasoned rice wine vinegar, and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Toss the dressing with the lettuce. Start with half the dressing and add more to taste. 
- Place lettuce servings on plates. Garnish with goat cheese slices, orange slices, and tomato and avocado slices.
- Serves 4.
Chef Johnny Prep 
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (Nouveau)