Recipe: Orange Chocolate Meltaways
Summary: Orange-scented balls of chocolate ganache goodness that do as their name indicates—melt delightfully in your mouth.
- 1 package (11 1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 1/2 teaspoons orange extract
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped toasted pecans
- 1 cup (6 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Make truffles: Place both types of chocolate chips (1 package milk chocolate chips + 1 cup semisweet chips) in a mixing bowl; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring cream and orange peel to a gentle boil; immediately pour hot cream over chips in bowl. Let stand for 1 minute; whisk until smooth. Add the extract. Cover and chill in refrigerator for 35 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from refrigerator and beat for 10-15 seconds or just until mixture lightens in color (do not overbeat). Spoon rounded teaspoonfuls of truffle onto waxed paper-lined baking sheets (you can use a melon-baller tool for this if you like). Cover and chill for 5 minutes. Gently shape into balls; roll half of the balls in pecans (we do only half because some people don’t like or eat nuts).
- Make coating: In a microwave or double boiler, melt 1 cup milk chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip un-pecanned balls in chocolate. (You may sprinkle some pecans on the dipped balls if you prefer.) Place on waxed paper to harden. Store in the refrigerator.
- Yield: 6 dozen.
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 6 dozen