Recipe: Orange-Almond Yogurt Cake
Summary: A dense, perfectly moist, not overly sweet breakfast or dessert tea cake, perfumed by orange and almond flavors, accompanied by fresh cut fruit or dusted with powdered sugar. Or both!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (regular or non-fat)
- 1/4 cup light flavored olive oil
- 2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Garnish: Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting, or cut fresh fruit
- Heat oven to 350F degrees. Mist an 8-inch round Springform pan or 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together yogurt, oil, orange zest and juice, egg, and almond extract. Fold the wet mixture into the flour mixture, stirring just until mixed.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. If using a Springform, remove ring and bottom and place cake on a pretty plate. If using a square pan, you will likely serve it straight from the pan.
- For serving, dust top lightly with confectioner’s sugar (optional), or spoon fresh cut fruit alongside.
You may use:
–either an 8-inch round or square pan.
–granulated or powdered sugar for the cake.
–either Greek or regular plain yogurt.
–either almond extract or vanilla extract.
–light flavored olive oil, or another type of vegetable oil.
–nonstick spray or butter to grease the pan.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 9-12
Culinary tradition: USA (General)