Barely blushing Angelcots are a perfumed, juicy, sweet delight in the produce department right now.
White-fleshed, with a delicate texture and aroma, these are a limited-edition, short-season treat. Bite into one and the juice might just run down your wrist like a nectarine, but the flavor is definitely apricot. Theyr’re rich in Vitamin C and a source of fiber, if you really need a nutritional excuse to eat them. But you will find many reasons to grab and go with these beauties. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack…they find a place at every meal.
And then they’ll be gone for another year, so strike now.
Aptly named, these are heavenly, indeed.
Season: Rightthisminute (mid-June through beginning of July, 3-5 weeks only)
Where: At Trader Joe’s nationwide. You can also find them in Northern California at Whole Foods and Safeway. In the rest of the country, Kroger stores around Cincinnati, OH; Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, and South Bend, IN; Peoria, IL; Dallas and Houston, TX; and Shelbyville KY. Here’s a store locator or if you can’t find them, ask your produce manager to get them in if he can.
Storage: If they are slightly green when you buy them, allow to ripen at room temperature until they achieve a soft orange color. Ripe fruit will give slightly to the touch. In general, eat within 1-3 days of purchase. Only refrigerate after ripening.
Distributed by: Exclusively distributed by Frieda’s Produce .
Delicious ways to use Angelcots
- Best way: Eat out of hand!
- Slice and toss in a salad.
- Drizzle with truffle honey for a ridiculously good dessert. (I’ll wait while you go and try that right now. Come back and tell me you died and went to heaven.)
- Serve with sliced brie cheese or fresh ricotta cheese for breakfast, lunch or an appetizer.
- Slice or chop and stir into your yogurt or oatmeal for breakfast.