Impromptu Cran-Apple Tuna Salad with Fresh Herbs
- 2 (5- or 6-ounce) cans solid light tuna in olive oil (Genova brand preferred; you will use the oil)
- 1 apple, skin left on, cored and chopped
- 1-2 celery ribs, chopped
- Half an orange bell pepper, cored and chopped
- Handful Craisins, hydrated in hot water and drained
- Handful fresh Italian parsley, stems off, chopped
- Handful fresh dill, stems off, chopped
- Squirt of Dijon mustard (Grey Poupon brand preferred)
- Big squeeze fresh lemon juice (Meyer lemon if you have it; juice from about half a lemon)
Put tuna AND its oil in a mixing bowl (the oil will be the start of the dressing). Add all other ingredients, eyeballing amounts to suit yourself. Stir well to combine, and serve!
I served this with a piece of herby focaccia alongside, but you could also use it as a tuna sandwich filling.
- You could add some chopped cucumber or zucchini, some carrots (shreds or a small chop), some sliced scallions or whatever other veggies you find in the veggie drawer.
- Substitute canned salmon instead of the tuna (and since canned salmon doesn’t come packed in olive oil, drain it, pick out the bones, and add a few squirts of high-quality extra-virgin olive oil to the bowl).