- 1 pound green tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
Simmer all ingredients in a small covered saucepan for 30 minutes. Remove lid to cool; excess moisture will evaporate during this time.
Shockinglydelicious observation: As soon as you put the allspice in here, stir it and give it a sniff. You will immediately understand what the “spice” is in Heinz ketchup.
Source: New York Times , from chef Melissa Fernandez.
Serve it with:
- roast chicken
- grilled sausage
- pork chops
- as the relish on a hot dog
- cheese quesadilla triangles
- as a general condiment when something needs perking up