Recipe: Funfetti Rice Krispies Treats
Summary: Throw in a generous helping of sprinkles, brown the butter and use three times as much as you think you need, for the most fun-filled Funfetti Rice Krispies Treats!
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or coarse sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (10-ounce) bag marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 2-4 tablespoons sprinkles (approximate)
- Lightly mist the inside of an 11- by 7-inch or 13- by 9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Set dish aside.
- In a large, heavy pot, melt butter and salt over medium-low heat. It will first melt, then foam, then become clear golden and finally start to turn brown and smell nutty. As this transformation occurs, stir frequently, scraping up any tiny brown bits from the pot bottom. Don’t walk away from the pot because once the butter begins to take on color, it browns quickly. Once it browns, it may burn in as little as a minute, so watch carefully.
- As soon as the butter becomes nutty brown, add the vanilla (it will foam up) and marshmallows and turn the heat down to lowest. Stir. Melt the marshmallows, which will become smooth and glossy, stirring frequently. Turn heat off, and, working quickly, stir in the cereal and 2 tablespoons sprinkles (more if you like) just until combined. Immediately scrape sticky contents out into prepared pan. Use your greased hand, an offset spatula or the back of a spoon to gently press the mixture evenly into the pan. Sprinkle remaining tablespoon of sprinkles over top (more if you like).
- Allow to cool on the counter, or set dish in the refrigerator to cool more quickly.
- Cool completely and cut into squares, diamonds or rectangles – whatever shape floats your boat. I usually remove the entire block of Krispies in one big slab onto a board for easier cutting.
- Cut into 16-30 pieces, depending on how piggy you are. The size is your option.
- Arrange them onto a serving platter. Smile as you bring them to the table.
Butter: Why use unsalted butter and then add salt? This way you are in control of exactly how much salt is added. If you must use already-salted butter, omit the added salt.
Sprinkles: For this pictured version, I used multi-colored nonpareils. Use any sprinkles that tickle your fancy.
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Cooling time: 1 hour
Number of servings (yield): 16-30 pieces (you choose the size)
Culinary tradition: USA (General)